Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

WL How does CarPlay maps work with the driver screen and HUD?

10K views 50 replies 17 participants last post by  Pioneer4x4 
#1 ·
I am looking forward to using CarPlay but I usually use Google Maps from within there, just because that is what I'm used to using. How does this work with the driver screen and HUD? Does it broadcast Google Maps or Maps (whatever you're using) or does it only use Tom Tom? I hope not -

#4 ·
CarPlay and Android auto only talk to the head unit. It's not just a Jeep thing...

#45 ·
Drove a 2022 Honda CR-V on vacation last week. Android Auto sent turn directions to the main dashboard behind the steering wheel in addition to showing it on the entertainment console display. My 2022 GC Summit, sadly, does not. Perhaps in a future update?
Hi mate, how did you do that? I have crv 2022,but no luck getting it behind the wheel display to work with the carplay nav. Thanks!

#10 ·
Curious - are the two mapping systems able to be utilized at the same time? That is, can you have Tom Tom maps providing directions on the driver cluster/HUD while Android Auto is up on the main screen and is utilizing Google Maps (or Apple CarPlay)?

#11 ·
Just a small thought here...if this is even possible, the routing displayed by the native vehicle NAV may not match what you are getting from Google Maps or Waze via AndroidAuto (or CarPlay). The online mapping systems are typically better with traffic based rerouting and there could be very noticable differences in the "route of the moment".

#12 ·
Yes, understood. More just a curiosity thing as I'm not able to try it on my vehicle yet as I have yet to receive it but it would be nice if the two are able to work at the same time (however, my guess is that the system won't allow both to work simultaneously).

#17 ·
When I use the onboard or CarPlay nav, the other one stops routing. I’ve tried checking both in a situation with bad traffic and I was cutting it close. But as I checked one, the other stopped navigating. Going back to the other, I’d have to pick the destination and start again.

#23 ·
It shouldn't be surprising since Apple has control over the Apple Maps coding and can put in the hooks to support sending certain information to the alternative display. They don't have any control of applications from others. Those applications may need to be updated to support new APIs if/when those are made available.

It will not surprise me that once this is supported with AndroidAuto that GoogleMaps, etc., will be able to participate, but third party apps might not be able to do so in a similar manner to CarPlay and Apple Maps.

#34 ·
I've been exclusively using Google maps prior to GC. I absolutely love the tomtom over google maps. For one, it takes me to better routes (via tollway) and it's much more informative in both duration/issue/camera zones. One thing that i will miss from google maps is user reported speed traps

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.