Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Administrator
11,788 Posts
You will discover that after a whole bunch of "hurry up and wait", your vehicle will actually built in a single day (along with as much as a thousand others in normal times) and go through a whole bunch of tracking milestones very quickly such that they will not even show up.

·
Administrator
11,788 Posts

·
Administrator
11,788 Posts
just chatted with JEEP CHAT yesterday and they told me they are not in production yet and there is no ETA for them to start.
I find that hard to believe, honestly...based on historic behavior. Not that there's any real physical differences between MY22 and MY23, but I cannot imagine that once they completed the switchover of what used to be called Jefferson North from "WK2" to WL that they would start cranking out MY22 rather than get started with MY23 given the time frame. But I could be wrong...

Reactions: tomk

·
Administrator
11,788 Posts
And Tom, they are still building WD DUrango for the moment, AFAIK... I was told specifically by someone who works there that they can run "a bunch of different things" down the same line with no issue. As you mention, it's just a matter of sequencing and insuring that the software understands what's in each "slot" on the line so that parts flow properly/accurately so it moves along. They have the ability to run something like 1000 vehicles a day through that plant.

·
Administrator
11,788 Posts
Something that's important to understand that after a lot of "hurry up and wait", when your order hits actual production, your vehicle is built and out the door in a day along with many hundreds of others. The tracking system can be very hit or miss based on sheer timing of information flows. So in Matt_H's case, it's likely out the door and moving into the transportation dance, which depending on geography can be one or more train routes followed by trucking the last few miles to the dealer.

·
Administrator
11,788 Posts
Do they even load MI vehicles onto a train or are they just trucked straight from the factory?
I'm sure that vehicles being delivered within a certain radius of the factory(s) in Detroit will gravel exclusively on trucks.

And yes, I'm also sure that dealers that are closer to the source or are at least adjacent to "direct" rail lines will have shorter order time frames than dealers more far flung that require train cars to be moved, dropped, added to a different train, etc., (rinse, repeat) before they get to the final rail destination that serves those dealers with "last mile" truck service.

·
Administrator
11,788 Posts
That's a really good point, Tom. There indeed can be "route optimization" for the truck deliveries as part of the "transportation package" for both efficiency/economy and also because of unloading order.

·
Administrator
11,788 Posts
LIkely just lag in the tracking system. As has been noted, the vehicle is built in one day...it goes down the line pretty much without stopping and gets spit out at the other end...along with many hundreds of others. :)

·
Administrator
11,788 Posts
Apparently it actually spent over 2 weeks being built…
I'm thinking it's just the tracking system lagging and killing the grass, as an old football coach of mine when I was young used to say all too frequently. ;) Your JGC was built in a single day along with as many as about 800-1000 others in the same factory if they were at full production. (I'm sure they are not due to supply chain) This has honestly been a typical problem with tracking for years now, especially since "insiders" lost visibility to real data.

'Glad yours is built!

·
Administrator
11,788 Posts
Have you tried to contact them other than sending an email to the status email they have? I e called them 3 times now and left a message all 3 times and I’ve never gotten a call back. I e had to call back and tell them I want a person and it took them forever to get someone. This was over the last 2 months asking about various things about the order.
Were you calling and messaging with the person authorized for the Group Buy program or calling the main number? If the latter, check the vendor section for the person running the program.

·
Administrator
11,788 Posts
What you will find is that anyone at the dealership who is not actually involved in the group buy may have no interest in your calls. There's a reason that it states in the group buy information to only talk with the authorized folks named in that information.

·
Administrator
11,788 Posts
If you didn't do the Group Buy process, then talking to whom you dealt with is best. But for reference, here's the Group Buy program contact information:

·
Administrator
11,788 Posts
Historically, Jeep dealers have had monthly allocations by trim for the JGC during the "WK2" era. Not sure if that's still the case with the WL or not. And those allocations did apply to customer orders as well as dealer orders. (JGCs are not forced out to dealers like some brands do -- every one made is for an actual order, at least again, historically through the "WK2" run)

·
Administrator
11,788 Posts
'Can't wait to see it, Tom!

Reactions: tomk

·
Administrator
11,788 Posts
today is delivery day!
fingers crossed that it is perfect..
Congrats and I hope that the delivery goes smoothly!

·
Administrator
11,788 Posts
If moving to Michigan, grab a Set of all terrains.
Unless they plan on driving a lot in mild off-road conditions, there's not much point in ATs just because it's Michigan. The CC2s are all weather tires, great for highway and other on-pavement driving, just fine for mild off-road on occasion, etc. Whether they need dedicated winter tires or not really depends upon what part of Michigan they will be living in...it's a big place.

·
Administrator
11,788 Posts
Always better to have a dedicated winter tire setup.
he may not want or need ATs as the main tire setup but the logic applies to all season tires too.
The tire they are considering is an All Weather tire, not an All Season. Different animal. But I do agree that in an area with very deep snow or very cold temperatures, a dedicated winter tire is not a terrible idea.

·
Administrator
11,788 Posts
Reactions: JTaylor and Jake22

·
Administrator
11,788 Posts
If they have all the parts, they can build the car in a day or two.
They can produce like a thousand vehicles a day in each factory...so your actual "build time" is far shorter than a "day or two"!!

·
Administrator
11,788 Posts
Couple of days from gate line to final inspection. Windsor Assembly could produce 1500 vans a day on 3 shifts w/3000+ on the assembly line.
Historically, the plant that was called Jefferson North literally built 800-1000 vehicles per day...80% JGC and the rest Durangos. And that's not with three shifts. Automotive plants are pretty amazing today with the meld of robotic technology with human operators that take care of the details along the line.

Relative to Jeep and specifically Grand Cherokee, what's also pretty kewel about that is that every single one of them has been a "sold" order, either to a customer or to a dealer. They don't produce them to force feed to the market like some makes/models are.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts