Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

· Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since my SR was delivered in October, 2021, my key fob's sporadically are not recognized by my vehicle. As a result, I must hold the fob against the Start button to engage the engine. The dealer has replaced the batteries in both fobs three times already, the most recent in July,2022. Once again they are not communicating at times.
I'm beginning to think that it isn't actually the batteries dying, but, either the fobs are defective, or there may be something amiss in the vehicles communication system.

Has anyone encompassed this issue? I have an appointment with the dealer in 2 weeks. Looking for some feedback. I will definitely tell them that just replacing the batteries is not an option.

· Registered
943 Posts
Make sure you don’t have any other RF devices nearby that might be inhibiting the communication with your fobs. also, the RF hub is all the way in the rear of the vehicle above the headliner. I had one customer who put a huge metal dog cage in the back , and had all sorts of issues with the fobs afterwards.

fun fact:
You can resync them yourself by putting all of the fobs inside the vehicle and driving for a few miles.

· Registered
541 Posts
I had this issue with a different stellantis built vehicle (not a grand) and it was always when the key way cold. Unsure where you live & temperature but I found that if I put the key in a jacket pocket whilst out walking the dogs, they key woudlnt work but if I cupped the key in my hand for a minute to warm it up it would then work again. Might be a totally different issue you’re having but also might be worth a try

· Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I only use one fob at a time. The second one remains in the house many feet away from the vehicle. The one ido use is in a Faraday box in my garage. The vehicle is also garaged.

I don't think temperatures are the issue as both fobs acted up here, in PA. In July.

· Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Any particular reason you keep it in a faraday cage?
To reduce the fob's from attempting to communicate with my vehicles which could not only reducing the fob battery, but also possibly the vehicles battery.

When I started having the communication problems I figured I'd try this to see if it would stop my problem. Obviously it didn't help, but can't hurt.

· Registered
943 Posts
To reduce the fob's from attempting to communicate with my vehicles which could not only reducing the fob battery, but also possibly the vehicles battery.
I would recommend not to use it for a few weeks and see what that does for your issue.
you have nothing to worry about as far as either battery becoming week due to the vehicle trying to communicate with the fob .

· Registered
23 Posts
Since my SR was delivered in October, 2021, my key fob's sporadically are not recognized by my vehicle. As a result, I must hold the fob against the Start button to engage the engine. The dealer has replaced the batteries in both fobs three times already, the most recent in July,2022. Once again they are not communicating at times.
I'm beginning to think that it isn't actually the batteries dying, but, either the fobs are defective, or there may be something amiss in the vehicles communication system.

Has anyone encompassed this issue? I have an appointment with the dealer in 2 weeks. Looking for some feedback. I will definitely tell them that just replacing the batteries is not an option.
I have a Grand Cherokee 3.7L .My Jeep was in the shop a few weeks ago because my Security light wouldn’t go off, as if it couldn’t recognize the Key.

I had a recall for an ignition switch, but I still had to get a new key made. It may be time for a new key

· Registered
2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Summit
918 Posts

Just curious, do you have the fob on your person a lot? (actually in a bag/pocket carried around with you all day?)
I can't see how any of these keyfobs can actively transmit their proximity stuff (tech talk) 24 hours a day for years off of a button cell (I typically get 3-4 years from every fob battery). I've always assumed they have a motion sensor in them and go to sleep in a way when not being jostled around after a while. So if they are in your pocket day in and day out, they would be actively doing electronic stuff all day and drain batteries faster. I've seen on my different car forums people that have "bad luck" with fob batteries. It can't be "the person" directly, or just 8 bad batteries in a row, so maybe it is the actual lifestyle/habits of the person carrying it?
FWIW, I drive rarely now, my fobs (Jeep and Volvo right now) sit in a basket when not in my pocket while driving.

· Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Just curious, do you have the fob on your person a lot? (actually in a bag/pocket carried around with you all day?)
I can't see how any of these keyfobs can actively transmit their proximity stuff (tech talk) 24 hours a day for years off of a button cell (I typically get 3-4 years from every fob battery). I've always assumed they have a motion sensor in them and go to sleep in a way when not being jostled around after a while. So if they are in your pocket day in and day out, they would be actively doing electronic stuff all day and drain batteries faster. I've seen on my different car forums people that have "bad luck" with fob batteries. It can't be "the person" directly, or just 8 bad batteries in a row, so maybe it is the actual lifestyle/habits of the person carrying it?
FWIW, I drive rarely now, my fobs (Jeep and Volvo right now) sit in a basket when not in my pocket while driving.
Similar to, you, I don't drive much. I bought my Jeep in October, 2021. Only have about 6100 miles on it.
My everyday key fob's remain in my garage in a Faraday box, as stated for both my Jeep as well as my Lincoln. Both spare fob's are in a drawer inside my house.

· Administrator
11,977 Posts
I have a Grand Cherokee 3.7L .My Jeep was in the shop a few weeks ago because my Security light wouldn’t go off, as if it couldn’t recognize the Key.

I had a recall for an ignition switch, but I still had to get a new key made. It may be time for a new key
Keep in mind that your older JGC has completely different electrical systems than the WL that is being discussed here. If you need assistance or advice, you'll want to post in the Troubleshooting discussion area for the JGC generation you have.

· Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Guess you don't realize that my Jeep is only a year old, and both fobs have the problem.

· Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well, it appears that the batteries are dying prematurely. When I put the fob's in my house they will have enough juice to start the vehicle. If I leave them in my cold garage even for a few hours, they won't work.

So we have to find out what is draining them.

· Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I had them both in the house, where they worked. After leaving them both in the garage, obviously much colder, they didnt, which indicates that they are drained to far to be utilized.

· Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
As an update, my dealer programmed two new fob's for me on January 9th. On Saturday, after less than 2 weeks, the new fob that I was using, again storing in my garage, was not recognized. The led on the fob didn't blink when pushed. Spoke to my service manager. He said that maybe the fob being in the cold garage was prematurely killing the battery. I told him that my garage is about 45 degrees, which is certainly not cold compared to other parts of the country. He said that he will throw it back into Jeeps purview, since he is at a loss.

Once again, can anyone tell me whether they have had a similar experience. Also, if I could get some cold temperature comparisons of the temperatures where others store their fob's when not used.

Thank you in advance.

· Registered
918 Posts
As an update, my dealer programmed two new fob's for me on January 9th. On Saturday, after less than 2 weeks, the new fob that I was using, again storing in my garage, was not recognized. The led on the fob didn't blink when pushed. Spoke to my service manager. He said that maybe the fob being in the cold garage was prematurely killing the battery. I told him that my garage is about 45 degrees, which is certainly not cold compared to other parts of the country. He said that he will throw it back into Jeeps purview, since he is at a loss.

Once again, can anyone tell me whether they have had a similar experience. Also, if I could get some cold temperature comparisons of the temperatures where others store their fob's when not used.

Thank you in advance.
I never noticed any LED on the fobs, where is it?

· Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Reactions: Pioneer4x4

· Registered
918 Posts
Right above the unlock button.
I very, very rarely ever even push a button on mine, and I guess I'm looking at the Jeep when I actually do push the button. I do see it mentioned in the manual, but honestly never noticed it.
As for the cold killing the battery, yeah, that makes some sense, BUT, once warm again, it should behave normally. It won't "damage" or drain the battery, just reduce it performance compared to being warmer.

· Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Come on. Nobody wants to help a guy out? Looking for some feedback.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts