Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
1 - 20 of 91 Posts

· Premium Member
2023 Grand Cherokee Overland 4xe
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to start a group discussion / thoughts on your 4Xe's.

Just got ours and after 2 weeks we love it. Since picking up at the dealer 80 miles from home we have 560 miles on it and have averaged 29+ MPG. On separate trip tracking - 340 miles we have gone city (70%) and highway (30%) we have averaged 38.5 MPG. No issues so far.

Car Automotive side marker light Vehicle Tire Automotive tail & brake light

· Registered
958 Posts
That’s awesome!
I think it’s by far the best drivetrain currently available.
30mpg! SRT torque…Yes please.

Now… would I get 30 mpg when epa says it gets 24mpg… no. I’d be lucky to see 20MPG with my foot.
but it’s hard to argue with the balance of power and efficiency.

hopefully the trade off isn’t reduced reliability with added complexity.
the other factor that I’d be concerned with is resale. I don’t lease my vehicles, so at the 5 year mark will the second hand market unfairly punish 4Xe vs the simple inefficient Hemi?
i think im more of a hurricane customer personally but im glad the 4Xe exists.

· Premium Member
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The 4 banger has been around non hybrid and hybrid for a while in the Wrangler. It seems like the QA process is pretty ridged on the 4Xe as it’s their future.
My guess is that’s why some never show up, I think but what do I know.

Ours sat in QA after it was built for a couple of days.

I’ve mashed it a few times and I’m still clicking off pretty good mileage.

Ha Ha I blew off a guy the other in a new Silverado - the one with the 4 pipes out the back exhaust.

At the next light he asked if it was a Hemi and I said no just a turbo 4 with electric motors, he just shook his head 😎
For now it’s pretty sweet - till the Hurricane arrives. We keep ours so I plan to keep it for at least 7 years.

We have 7x100 max car and in CA the system and batteries are covered for 10 years 150k miles.

This guy has a pretty good review as an owner

· Premium Member
1,672 Posts
How is it when you have to fall back on the gas engine?
We take several thousand-mile-plus trips a year, so 10+ hours at a stretch on the interstate..

· Registered
'22 JGC 4xe & '14 JGC LTD; '09 Subaru Forester; RIP '05 Subaru Legacy STI EVO
2,385 Posts
Looking to start a group discussion / thoughts on your 4Xe's.
Let me troll a bit.
It is slow, underpowered, no match for the mighty V6 Pentastar let alone the phenomenal V8 Hemi which should live forever. It saves no money on gas. It is full of problems. It goes into limp mode if you run out of battery. When you run out of battery you are stuck with a 2 L coffee grinder. It is not going to save the planet.
End of troll.

I think this summarizes all I have heard on this forum before in other conversations on the 4xe. It is in reality a fantastic car and I grin every time I drive it.
Automotive parking light Tire Vehicle Vehicle registration plate Car

· Registered
2,385 Posts
We take several thousand-mile-plus trips a year, so 10+ hours at a stretch on the interstate..

It is the same way all the time. It is ALWAYS a hybrid and you will always have 475 lb-ft and 375 bhp below your right shoe.

· Registered
427 Posts
Let me troll a bit.

End of troll.

I think this covers all I have heard on this forum before in other conversations on the 4xe. It is in reality a fantastic car and I grin every time I drive it.
To be honest, you're not wrong with the trolling. It's a new gen and will have it's issues but customers will pay far too much just for Stellantis to recoup the R&D. Unless you have stupid money to toss around this ain't it and you would be crazy to do anything other than lease it.

· Registered
2,385 Posts
Let me make some room around me. Damn piles of Franklin$ and Jackson$. I also need to warm up a bit the house so let me throw a few stashes in the fireplace.

By the way, I bought mine.

I am fine with comments like that but let's not push the narrative that it is a useless car. It fills specific needs and advances the technology if nothing else.

· Registered
2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Summit
918 Posts
It is the same way all the time. It is ALWAYS a hybrid ...
Yep
...you will always have 475 lb-ft and 375 bhp below your right shoe.
nope
When EV battery is drained, there is not magic "always". If it is drained, and you do a long acceleration after acceleration, you will be without EV power.
But it always comes back during normal driving, so effectively you have enough for brief pull out type power just about always.
And if you know ahead of time, you will want/need all that power, you can "hold" the EV charge, and run only on ICE saving the battery for when you want to use it. Very useful when on the highway, when ICE is at its most efficient, save EV for around town when ICE sucks, and extra power is handy.

· Registered
2014 GC Overland Diesel 4x4
458 Posts
TBH this would be the only thing that I would consider getting from Stellantis these days. Sadly I would still be stuck with a subpar service network.

· Premium Member
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
So far so good. Seems like when the e mode is at zero % it starts operating like a traditional hybrid. So far I've had no power issues. The real test is on 2/1 when we take it up to Lake Tahoe. I've talked to a couple of Wrangler owners in town and they said it's been awesome going up. One guy had a Tesla he sold to get the Wrangler. Said the Wrangler is way better up in the mountains / snow.

· Premium Member
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
To be honest, you're not wrong with the trolling. It's a new gen and will have it's issues but customers will pay far too much just for Stellantis to recoup the R&D. Unless you have stupid money to toss around this ain't it and you would be crazy to do anything other than lease it.
I bought mine - we keep em for 5 to 7 years.
Everything is expensive...... milk, bread and Ford F 150 Lightings - overall the 2023 is vastly improved over the WK - of which I had a 2011 Hemi and 2015 Eco Diesel. Besides the wife loves the McIntosh Audio and the Massage Seats.

· Registered
918 Posts
there has to be a reason that it’s only offered in the smaller 2 row..
I was watching the assembly video, and it showed putting the 2 battery packs and other (charging?) circuitry boxes up underneath the Jeep. My only guess, is that the 3 row has a different floor pan in the back for more leg room or something like that. There is more floor, you'd think there is more room, but I've never crawled under to compare.
5:00 - 6:00 in the video

· Registered
Grand Cherokee Summit Reserve
14 Posts
I don't know guys. Maybe I am crazy, but I drove one fully charged for 30 minutes and then a V8 immediately after and then back to the 4Xe and thought the 4Xe was a dog compared to the V8. I really, REALLY, wanted to like the hybrid but was not impressed with the acceleration, lag that it takes the ICE to turn on when you press the throttle, and general buzziness of the 4 banger. I thought it would be cool to be able to not use any gas during the work week, but it just isn't quite there yet, so I bought a SR Hemi.
I also drove an XC60 PHEV and that is light years ahead of the 4Xe for sure. More power, more range, better mileage, smoother transition off battery only. And it costs less.
Not trying to troll, just my experience.
Also if you haven't checked it out, the 4Xe forum has a ton of good info

· Jeep Addict
1,675 Posts
Unless you have stupid money to toss around this ain't it and you would be crazy to do anything other than lease it.
That is true.

Even if you are planning on keeping the vehicle for more than 3 years, leasing will get you the best deal right now - especially on the MY22 4xe. Lease it now and once the lease is over, you can either decide to buy it or return it - based on residual, reliability and how much/little you enjoyed the vehicle. No risk at all.

The MF offered through leasing is lower than any interest rate you can get on a loan today (see the 2.856% below). Combine that with the fact that the $7,500 gets applied immediately instead of a tax refund a year from now and you have a VERY competitive offer.

Font Rectangle Parallel Screenshot Number

· Registered
918 Posts
... all that effort just to go 27 miles full electic?
That is a side benefit. The overall economy is the real win. 5.7 peak power, 6.4 peak torque, better than 2.0 economy.
The only real downside is what you mentioned first. It is complicated and expensive.

Reactions: tallguy
1 - 20 of 91 Posts