Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

· Registered
2022 Grand Cherokee Summit Reserve 5.7L Baltic Gray Tupelo/black interior
160 Posts
What are you doing? Looking for rattles? I saw in another post the pics of the air reservoir tanks you posted. Looks like a lot of work. Having fun are ya...

· Registered
953 Posts
That sub looks weak.. I’ll be frisbeeing mine into the trash once a stealth box is made for the WL. I honestly don’t even notice the sub adding to the experience.
The door speakers are quite bass heavy but I’m getting very little beyond them.
much like the alpine one in my ram… trashed for 2 10” JL W3s.
Looks like a paper speaker 🤦

· Registered
22 WL74 Overland
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Im not a base person. Im like clarity. I agree it needs a little more base for a 950w system. Ill unhook it and see if i notice. if i cant i could put my 2 way radio there.

· Registered
953 Posts
I like balance and quality. I think a quality 10” sub and about 500 watts RMS will round out the stereo nicely.
I can then tune the excess bass out of the doors.
honestly for all the fuss made about the mcintosh stereo.. it’s really just another domestic OEM stereo. No better or worse than the Harmon in my 2017 Jeep.
honestly a step behind the Harmon in the Rams.
miles behind the German car’s factory stereos… talk about clarity.

· Registered
137 Posts
The fronts are too bass heavy thats for sure… and the doors rattles overpower the music.

I deadened the front doors and that took care of 95% of the rattles and as an added bonus they sound nicer when closing them.

I do have the mcintosh and found it funny that the speakers have Alpine labels on them lol…

OP let us know how your system sounds with the subwoofer off…

· Registered
953 Posts
I’m convinced it’s the OEM crap “tuned by mcintosh” either way I’m content with the speakers, the sub needs an upgrade tho.
im thinking under the cargo floor might be easiest, remove plastic tray and build a box

· Registered
137 Posts
I’m convinced it’s the OEM crap “tuned by mcintosh” either way I’m content with the speakers, the sub needs an upgrade tho.
im thinking under the cargo floor might be easiest, remove plastic tray and build a box
What would probably be best is to use the OEM amp to power an efficient aftermarket subwoofer.

Ive done this in another car and the results were great!

· Registered
953 Posts
What would probably be best is to use the OEM amp to power an efficient aftermarket subwoofer.

Ive done this in another car and the results were great!
I took the sub signal, ran it through a line out converter, then I ran a dedicated 650watt RMS amp in my truck. It had the OEM alpine stereo.

· Registered
1,045 Posts
The fronts are too bass heavy thats for sure… and the doors rattles overpower the music.

I deadened the front doors and that took care of 95% of the rattles and as an added bonus they sound nicer when closing them.

I do have the mcintosh and found it funny that the speakers have Alpine labels on them lol…

OP let us know how your system sounds with the subwoofer off…
What specific parts had "Alpine" on them? I could see some things like plastic enclosures being stamped as "Alpine" (due to cost-sharing), but the actual electronics (crossovers or actual speaker drivers) should definitely not say "Alpine".

Personally, I find the McIntosh system to be among the best OEM systems I've ever heard. I've put high end systems in a lot of cars, boats and RVs, and the overall sound quality of the McIntosh system absolutely lives up to the McIntosh reputation. My only complaint is that certain music genres are bass heavy at mid volume, but dialing the bass down on the EQ solves that problem. Otherwise, the sound is very natural and clean.

Given the complexities of dealing with the programmed noise cancelling systems, I can't see much, if anything, worth doing to the McIntosh system, except maybe replacing the rear sub (and sub amp).

Regarding rattles: Are you getting the vibration/rattle from the memory seat/massage seat buttons?

· Registered
137 Posts
Hey @Sarge

The front speakers have part number labels with the ALPINE logo on them, I know super akward…

As for rattles the door itself has only a small strip of sound deadening at the top, and my doors rattled at any hint of bass (bass setting at -4) most of the rattles came from the door card itsell, speaker grill and some areas where the door cards meet the door structure.

· Registered
2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Summit
917 Posts
Found this… love the grille.

Quick look, makes me think of the Bronco Everglades edition with factory snorkel and winch.

· Registered
1,045 Posts
Hey @Sarge

The front speakers have part number labels with the ALPINE logo on them, I know super akward…

As for rattles the door itself has only a small strip of sound deadening at the top, and my doors rattled at any hint of bass (bass setting at -4) most of the rattles came from the door card itsell, speaker grill and some areas where the door cards meet the door structure.
I had all those rattles too. Horrible. my dealer took the door panel off and tried to figure it out, but couldn’t. The worst of my rattles were coming from the area right around the memory seat and massage button switches above the door handle. I’m not sure anything other than a redesigned set of switches for those things would’ve fixed it. I’ve heard elsewhere that Jeep was replacing entire door panels with redesigned ones due to the problems. Mine was a September or October 21 build. Newer ones should have the redesigned panels and fewer rattles. That said, I have done quite a few stereo installs in the past and I am familiar with the things you’ve done to improve the situation.

Are you saying the actual speaker itself was labeled “alpine“?!?

· Registered
953 Posts
Not at all surprised. Paid mcintosh for the tuning and logos.
they are nice logos!
just another domestic OEM system..
bottom line.. it’s a success. 90% positive press / happy customers.
I guess they tried hard enough.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts