Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
18 Posts
This is interesting but I don’t know what it means. Do we have the beefy track hawk case? Does it mean that our transfer cases have the ability to torque split? I was under the assumption that we had a simple open differential transfer case. ( I have a limited model with qt1 and select terrain. )

· Registered
18 Posts
I recall a Motortrend article “2021 Grand Cherokee L Chassis Deep-Dive” that said “all 4x4 models get an active transfer case that disconnects drive to the front when it is not needed”. Maybe the “active transfer case” is the one mentioned by OP. Maybe we got an upgraded transfer case so they could implement the “front axle disconnect”. I’m curious if having clutches in the transfer case provides any advantage off road or in snow?

· Registered
18 Posts
Thanks for the info Sarge. Sounds like the transfer case tightens up (closer to locking) with 50:50 split in snow/mud/sand modes. I like that. (I’ll take anything I can get since I don’t have 4lo.)

Just curious, does front axle disconnect mean that the Jeep can be 4-wheel towed? Kinda doubt it but ask.

· Registered
18 Posts
I’m just pleased that my QT1 Jeep is a little more capable than I thought. I thought the single speed transfer case was just an open differential. I am pleased that it has clutch packs that give it the ability to tighten up substantially in certain modes. My experience with mud/sand mode is that it actually binds up when making a u-turn on the gravel culdesac at the end of my road. I agree with Sarge that snow mode is tuned for neutral (boring) handling in all aspects. (Believe me, I appreciate the boring handling of snow mode when traveling on icy highways.). OP, thanks for the find on the transfer case specifications.

· Registered
18 Posts
I found info/specs that say 2021 limited has the MP3010 transfer case (which I think is similar to the MP3015-perhaps less beefy). It has electronic controlled clutch packs also. The 2010 is the non electronic open differential. I understand the 3010 was used in SRT grand cherokees.

· Registered
18 Posts
Sorry to repeat myself but I am very happy to know that my Jeep can “lock” up the transfer case in sand/mud and snow modes. I was frankly a little jealous that my wife’s Lexus RX350 (and my son’s Subaru Crosstrek) have little buttons that lock the center differential. Makes me that much more confident in my WL QT1 Jeep despite not having low range. (I am coming from a AWD BMW X5 then an AWD Yukon Denali (neither had low range) and the WL feels much more capable than both of them.) My last rig with low range was a classic XJ Cherokee and I never used it. (I mainly use 4WD for going to the ski hill in the winter and trailheads/fishing spots in the summer.)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts