Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
2014 5.7 Limited ORA2
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I've just purchased a 2023 Laredo WL (Traded in my Rubicon 4xe)

I couldn't help but notice something interesting about the transfer case specifications on Jeep's website.

The WL transfer case

Now the transfer case used on WK2 Trackhawks

That would be quite interesting if it is indeed the same transfer case.

Obviously the Laredo doesn't come with selec terrain but if the transfer case is capable of different modes, would be an interesting project to see if they could be modified.

Referencing the owners manual

The F45 fuse is listed as "Front axle disconnect" Won't be doing any burnouts with a 3.6 but I'll be sure to test this out and see what AlfaOBD and OBDlink software show when I monitor the transfer case.

· Registered
2014 5.7 Limited ORA2
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I will be fully testing out the transfer case to see how it works, much like how I did with my WK2

My guess is the F05 fuse will make it RWD, but that may cause a bunch of other problems.

The transfer cases in jeeps don't require slippage to send power, lots of time it's just done by throttle input.

But since the Trackhawk had selectable modes with this transfer, its a matter if getting the parts and enabling them in the BCM and DTCM

· Registered
2014 5.7 Limited ORA2
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I look forward to hearing what you find. I really want to find a way to completely defeat stability control, and would love to lock it in RWD too 😁. It would seem, like diffusing a bomb, if you can put a kill switch on certain wires (effectively cutting them), you could have a 'crude' version of what could otherwise be done with code. I'm sure it would trigger all manner of error codes and warnings, though, and could possibly require a dealer visit to reset in some cases.

To wit: my air suspension once defecated the mattress after towing snowmobiles, sending the rear sky high and the front to low rider setting after the trailer was detached, and I couldn't reset it. I had to drive it like that until the dealer could look at it and reset it. So, be prepared for things like that... but please try! 😜
I had something similar happen when towing.

I was hitching up my trailer (660lb tongue weight) and it never self levelled

My wife's look of "what did you break now"

I had to cycle the ignition a bunch of times before it fixed itself

Back to the RWD thing, I don't think HP tuners supports the WL but i'll see if i can read the TCM ect and see what's going on. Maybe getting a selec terrain trim piece with the buttons might be a fun project. I pick it up tomorrow so i'll start looking in to it then

· Registered
2014 5.7 Limited ORA2
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The dealer seems only concerned with making their computers happy. Any further understanding of anything is superfluous knowledge from what I can tell.

As far as tuners go, though, it seems like the security imposed on the current gen of electronics is pretty strong, so the dev time to hack that is apparently vastly higher than it used to be. That being the case, it’s sort of a waiting game, and I’d guess we won’t see anything for our WLs unless the security can be hacked on a Wrangler and copy pasta’d to juxtapose it on the WL, Since the WL market is generally not spending a fraction of what Wrangler owners do on modifications.

Hell, almost two years in and a lot of us would be happy to modify our vehicles to perform as advertised.
Its not so much hacking, Unless the Jeep uses GPEC5 PCM HP Tuners has supported tuning jeeps for a long time. 2015+ have their PCMs locked but its easy, HP Tuners unlocks your original or you buy a used one and get it unlocked.

Security has already been "hacked" on Wranglers, just not one ones with GPEC5, so that would be some vehicles starting in 2021 (All 4xe's are GPEC5)

· Registered
2014 5.7 Limited ORA2
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
The transfer case is not made by ZF it's made by Magnapower, their transfer cases are used in Jeeps and GM trucks quite frequently

· Registered
2014 5.7 Limited ORA2
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
The selec terrain mode programming is really a feature available on the transfer case, jeep just enables that on the software side of things.

Example, 4H Auto or "Auto 4x4" on GM trucks, is no different than what the Only setting on QT1 vehicles, jeep just markets and calls it differently.

Same thing how MP transfer cases used in trucks have a 2H function..........but that function isn't enabled in most Jeeps.

MP3022 is used in WK2 grand Cherokees, it's also used in The JL Wranglers 2018+

WK2 = no 2H mode
JLU = 2H Mode

Its all programming and how jeep wants the vehicle to performan.

In the JLU 4U Auto stays in RWD mode until:

1. Slippage
2. Throttle input
3. Pitch/Yaw + a bunch of other variables

In the WK2 it functions similar but different

1. Low speeds it send power to the front axle and when stopped
2. When accelerating gently it sends power to the front axle and then gradually backs off going to RWD
3. Harsh acceleration send power to the front axle
4. Pitch/Yaw + A bunch of other variables

So in 2 different Jeep vehicles they use the same transfer case but through the DTCM they function a bit differently.

As for the MP3015, unfortunately neither J-Scan or OBDlink which I use to monitor the DTCM support the WL yet so I need to wait for support before I can see the DTCM and how it's applying the clutches ect.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts