Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

Am I crazy and being unreasonable? I just want the brand new Jeep I paid for

• Yes, you are batshit crazy, drink a beer and calm down.

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • No, the dealer should swap your WL for an actual brand new WL

Votes: 5 83.3%
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to rant a little bit, we bought a new WL.. it all started fine, until it was not. the mileage on the paperwork was wrong, they gave me an attitude to delete and re-do the contract with the correct mileage, I try to put my phone into the navigation system, there are 2 other peoples information already stored in the car. its dark out, I get out and walk around the car a bit to see if there are any other surprises.. I find a damaged front right wheel, scratches on the bumper and glitter in the rear seat. the dealer writes me a "we owe you" for a detail and to replace the front right wheel.

I drive home, the following morning, its finally light out. as soon I open the drivers doo, I see a minute maid bottle cap and drip marks.. someone was clearly drinking and spilled their drink in a car that I or my family will not eat or drink in.
Then as soon as I turn off my block, the sun shines through the window onto the cluster and BAM, its all scratched, I am looking at the speedometer through scratches.

I have since, called the dealer twice, left 2 voicemails with 2 separate sales managers who have yet to call me back and filed a report with jeeps customer care team. the wheel, they can replace no big deal, cleaning the car also.. but the trip to the dealer with 2 small kids is a multiple hour ordeal and how in the world are they going to replace the instrument cluster without damaging anything else or causing any other rattles on this "brand new" wl.

Television Television set Aircraft Flat panel display Communication Device

Tire Grille Vehicle Wheel Automotive tire

Wheel Automotive tire Tire Hood Car

Automotive design Grey Automotive exterior Silver Automotive lighting

·
Registered
4,571 Posts
Probably a demo or a loaner.
I've bought demo's in the past including my current WK2 which i bought new with mileage. Before taking delivery the dealership made sure it was detailed inside and out.

The instrument panel scratches are a whole different story as that would piss me off to no extent.
I learned a long time ago left phone messages and emails generally don't work.
Best to have a face to face conversation with the dealership's general manager or owner.

Reactions: tallguy and Seakir

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Probably a demo or a loaner.
I've bought demo's in the past including my current WK2 which i bought new with mileage. Before taking delivery the dealership made sure it was detailed inside and out.

The instrument panel scratches are a whole different story as that would piss me off to no extent.
I learned a long time ago left phone messages and emails generally don't work.
Best to have a face to face conversation with the dealership's general manager or owner.
I found the owners email on linked in, sent him an email and no less than 20 minutes later (at 9PM), one of the sales managers who ignored my voicemail called me and apologized for calling so late.. She claims that the dealership likely did not submit the paperwork to the dmv yet and I should be able to return the jeep.. my biggest issue, this jeep has specific option packages that only 1 dealership had in stock within 250 miles from me.. I guess ill just return it for a refund and wait for another one to show up.. I dont know why second row bench seats are so hard to come by.

·
Registered
4,571 Posts
I found the owners email on linked in, sent him an email and no less than 20 minutes later (at 9PM), one of the sales managers who ignored my voicemail called me and apologized for calling so late.. She claims that the dealership likely did not submit the paperwork to the dmv yet and I should be able to return the jeep.. my biggest issue, this jeep has specific option packages that only 1 dealership had in stock within 250 miles from me.. I guess ill just return it for a refund and wait for another one to show up.. I dont know why second row bench seats are so hard to come by.
If you can swing a no hassle refund thats the way to go.
You'll never be happy keeping that Jeep.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I need to rant a little bit, we bought a new WL.. it all started fine, until it was not. the mileage on the paperwork was wrong, they gave me an attitude to delete and re-do the contract with the correct mileage, I try to put my phone into the navigation system, there are 2 other peoples information already stored in the car. its dark out, I get out and walk around the car a bit to see if there are any other surprises.. I find a damaged front right wheel, scratches on the bumper and glitter in the rear seat. the dealer writes me a "we owe you" for a detail and to replace the front right wheel.

I drive home, the following morning, its finally light out. as soon I open the drivers doo, I see a minute maid bottle cap and drip marks.. someone was clearly drinking and spilled their drink in a car that I or my family will not eat or drink in.
Then as soon as I turn off my block, the sun shines through the window onto the cluster and BAM, its all scratched, I am looking at the speedometer through scratches.

I have since, called the dealer twice, left 2 voicemails with 2 separate sales managers who have yet to call me back and filed a report with jeeps customer care team. the wheel, they can replace no big deal, cleaning the car also.. but the trip to the dealer with 2 small kids is a multiple hour ordeal and how in the world are they going to replace the instrument cluster without damaging anything else or causing any other rattles on this "brand new" wl.

View attachment 241234
View attachment 241232
View attachment 241231
View attachment 241233
I am fighting my dealer I bought a 2022 GC WL LIMITED AFTER I GOT HOME I NOTICED A SCRATCH IN THE WIPER PATH OBVIOUSLY FROM THE 3 MONTH LEASE IT CAME FROM "NOT ME"
Sky Car Daytime Vehicle Street light

Attachments

·
Registered
4,571 Posts
Can't see the scratch from the pic but thats one of those hard thing to spot things before signing all those dotted lines.
Run your thumb nail across the scratch.
If the thumb nail catches the scratch the windshield needs replacing.
If thats the case, you could have a tough road ahead with that dealership.

On the other hand, if your thumb doesn't catch on the scratch and feels relatively smooth it can be buffed out by a windshield replacement shop and be cheaper than you'd think.
I would not recommend a DIY for this though.

If thats feasible get an estimate and try to get the dealership to pay for it or have them send it out for buffing all paid for of course by the dealership.
If they still dig in their heels might be better to spend a few bucks of your own than elevating your blood pressure. Then forget that dealership.

·
Administrator
11,469 Posts
"Jeep Jeep Jeep", If that's an off-lease vehicle you purchased, you may have a lot more issue with small things like that since it's considered "used".

·
Registered
4,571 Posts
THE SCRATCH starts at the bottom of window ends up by the Big Rigs driver side tire
Ok think i see it now its the narrow streak that starts from around that right speaker or defroster vent grill.
That might be fixable but you need to give it the finger test. haha

My tips for keeping windshields healthy.
I seldom to never try to clean a dry windshield with the wiper washers.
And when it rains i wait til the windshield and wiper blades are good and soaked before turning the wipers on.
One reason i'm not a big fan of auto rain sensing wipers.
When ever hand clean the windshield which is just about every time i drive the vehicle i always clean the wiper blades too.
All it takes is a grain of sand or tiny rock either stuck on the wiper blade or the windshield and wallah scratchville.

Most important of all never follow a gravel truck or farm implement.
If you have no other choice keep your distance.

Edit:
Forgot another important one.
Only in an emergency like driving through a swarm of locusts will i use those gas station squeegy/sponge window cleaner tools.
Who knows whats embedded in those sponges.

·
Registered
28 Posts
oh it's definitely a groove, Dealer salesman texted me today that they are ordering a new windshield and will replace it, Yay for me, this was the previous person who leased it for 3 months that probably did not pay attention.

·
Registered
4,571 Posts
oh it's definitely a groove, Dealer salesman texted me today that they are ordering a new windshield and will replace it, Yay for me, this was the previous person who leased it for 3 months that probably did not pay attention.
Excellent!(y)
But as that old saying goes, 'It ain't over until the fat lady sings'.
Good Luck.

Reactions: Jeep Jeep Jeep

·
Registered
White Altitude
30 Posts
The instrument cluster light scratches can also be easily polished out, likely that piece of the dash could also be replaced by the dealer fairly easily. I have used Meguiars PlastX on that area before in other cars with a soft microfiber and it usually will look like new. I don't have a WL yet but if it is matte plastic then you are kind of screwed.

·
Registered
4,571 Posts
A FYI when cleaning instrument panel lenses.
Be extremely careful when cleaning instrument panel plastic lenses. They can be easily micro scratched even with gentle cleaning if done the wrong way.
Dust particles can be abrasive like from gravel road dust etc. which can produce micro scratches from cleaning.
The micro scratches might not be apparent initially but later when the sun hits the panel just right any micro scratch swirls from cleaning will show up and could look worse than a dirty lens.
I learned this the hard way decades ago.

Here's my method of cleaning them right or wrong.
First off i seldom clean them, only when they get dirty enough to start being annoying which is semi rare.
The less they are cleaned the less chance of scratching them.

1) I use a computer compressed air dust-off aerosol can to blow off any large deposits of dust on and around the instrument cluster. Sometimes thats all it takes.

2) If the lens needs further cleaning get a 100% clean soft cotton rag maybe cut from an old T-shirt.

I use an eyeglass spray cleaner which i find will spray light mists and not drip soak the lens which could require more action than necessary to dry.
Eye glass cleaners are gentle plastic and anti-reflective coating friendly as most eyeglass lenses today are made of plastic.

3) Spray the cleaner on the lens to cover the entire lens but don't over do it enough to cause dripping. Just make sure the entire surface is covered with the cleaner. Let it sit for a couple seconds but don't let it dry.

4) Bunch up the cotton rag to resemble a large soft mushroom head which will buffer any finger pressure from scratching the lens then if the lens is extremely dirty very lightly spray some cleaner on the rag's mushroom head.

5) Lightly dab the mushroom head on the lens to remove most of the cleaner still on the lens.
The lens should still be slightly wet enough for the next step.
Do not swirl, rub or wipe the rag on the lens.

6) Flip the rag to a dry section again forming it into a mushroom head and remove the remaining cleaner again using a light dabbing motion.

If the lens was extremely dirty might have to do the above steps more than once using clean sections of the rag or another clean rag.
Sounds complicated but only takes a couple of minutes.

·
Registered
2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Summit
377 Posts
I would add that it is easier and safer to wax over scratches then remove them. Wax will fill and take the edge off of them. They will still be there, but much less noticable. Plus it will help prevent further scratches.

Reactions: moparado

·
Registered
4,571 Posts
I would add that it is easier and safer to wax over scratches then remove them. Wax will fill and take the edge off of them. They will still be there, but much less noticable. Plus it will help prevent further scratches.
Never tried that but again the instrument panel lenses should be squeaky clean before applying any wax and not polish.
I'd also be careful how the wax is applied and how its buffed out.
Guess it all depends on what a person's perfection level is.

I tried rubbing out scratches with waxes and dedicated plastic polishers on sun glass lenses.
Sometimes it was good enough to get by but those lenses never came out good as new.
Most times i had to toss those scratched sunglass lenses in the trash.

·
Registered
2018 Grand Cherokee Limited and a 2020 Grand Cherokee Altitude
169 Posts
I clean the exterior glass (and rest of vehicle) every week with the two bucket method first using P&S cleaners, then after drying, apply rainX on the outside and invisible glass on inside. Every week. What I’ve found is the pros (protection) outweighs the cons (build up). I’m glad the dealer is covering it for you!

·
Registered
91 Posts
Up to you, but you can try maybe using plain toothpaste and gently polishing the instrument panel. It works to take 'eyelash' scratches off of acrylic watch faces. Again, I'm not expert, but you could try on a small section to see.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts