Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I’ve seen a few articles predicting that Stellantis will debut new engine options for the WL at the New York Auto Show in April. It’s a 3.0L in-line six-cylinder with twin turbos making over 400 hp and 450 lb-ft of torque when optimized for efficiency in base spec and over 500 hp and 475 lb-ft when optimized for power.

It would be nice to finally have new engine options for the Grand Cherokee. As much as I like my 2012 Hemi 4x4, the 5.7L is optimized for neither efficiency nor power. I’ve been looking forward to the 4xe option, but am skeptical of its ability to smoothly power such a large vehicle and tow without feeling or sounding underpowered.

A new motor might persuade me to upgrade my 2012 WK2 sooner, rather than later. The newer WK2s and WLs with the old engines just haven’t been worth considering.

·
Administrator
11,241 Posts
Yes, it's coming. The "when" isn't yet published and the engine can be configured in multiple ways, so it will be interesting to see what version(s) end up in the WL.

·
Premium Member
SRT8
2,906 Posts
I need a replacement for MY12 SRT but back then 60k was expensive today it's a steal for the HP/SUV was hoping for like 550 to 600 in a newer SRT GC

·
Registered
439 Posts
It sounds like the new turbo motors will be Wagoneer-first, maybe beginning later this month, with WL's not getting the motor until the 2024 model year. There will be an announcement at NYAS around 4/15 that will hopefully lay out the roadmap for which vehicles get them, and when.

They're designed to work in pretty much any vehicle that has longitudinal V6 or V8 engines, so they should be in everything from Chargers to RAM pickups, to the WL. It's just a matter of 'when'.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Has anyone heard if they are bringing the EcoDiesel engine back to the Grand Cherokee or Wagoneer lineup? I've got a 2014 WK2 EcoDiesel and will need to replace it in the next year or two.

·
Registered
439 Posts
There are no plans to offer it at all. The new turbo 6 motors will improve fuel economy, and there may be a hybrid turbo 6 option at some point (as in the new Sequoia). Diesel is going the way of manual transmissions. I'd have a manual diesel if I could.

·
Administrator
11,241 Posts
Has anyone heard if they are bringing the EcoDiesel engine back to the Grand Cherokee or Wagoneer lineup? I've got a 2014 WK2 EcoDiesel and will need to replace it in the next year or two.
Not a chance...small diesels are going the way of the dodo bird...

·
Registered
67 Posts
Bummer. They still offer the EcoDiesel in the 2022 Wrangler (I have one on order) and also the Ram 1500, so I thought maybe they'd bring it back in the Grand Cherokee. I do a lot of road trips and get 30 mpg with my 2014 Grand Cherokee. No other engine they offer comes close to that.

·
Registered
4,279 Posts
But, but will that new 3.0 twin turbo engine have a beefed up oil cooler system.
Since it has better fuel mileage maybe they'll come to their senses and scrap that rube goldberg of an oil pump system.

Any word on whether its gonna include direct fuel injection?

·
Registered
439 Posts
Per this article in Motortrend:

The Hurricane is a DOHC design, with direct injection, and individual cooling systems for the turbos, separate from the engine cooling circuit. There's a structural oil pan with a pump that can circulate oil during extreme driving conditions. As a unit, the SO weighs in at 430 pounds, and the HO comes in at 441 pounds, both fully dressed—lighter than the company's 5.7-liter Hemi V-8.

·
Premium Member
SRT8
2,906 Posts
Guessing their is mechanical water pump and an electronic one then for 2 separate cooling systems.. should be interesting. Hopefully there is an Oil cooler or atleast water to oil cooler like we have now.
they should of brought back the 4.0L for the HO.

·
Registered
2017 Summit V6 Velvet Red Sienna Brown interior
51 Posts
Any details if the SO hurricane will include mild hybrid similar to Mercedes Benz and BMW with their 3.0 inline 6 turbo?

·
Registered
2019 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
313 Posts
Isn't this a different powertrain than what you referenced originally? When I looked at this, it says this is a 2 liter inline 4 cylinder engine with an electric assist. I'm guessing this is the same powertrain that is currently being offered in the Wrangler. The original powertrain you were asking for is a non-hybrid I6 engine with twin turbos.

Keith

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I was just hoping for new engine options; ANY new engine options. An in-line V6 with an electric assist would be awesome, but if the 4xe works as well as they say it does, it might work for me.

·
Registered
2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Summit Reserve 4x4 5.7L
184 Posts
An in-line V6 with an electric assist would be awesome, but if the 4xe works as well as they say it does, it might work for me.
Is an “in-line V6” a V12? Hahaha

Reactions: PECo

·
Premium Member
2015 Grand Cherokee
194 Posts
Not to be a skeptic but... Try and buy / order 1.... A joke - all of the media and not one to be found anywhere. The site says coming in the Spring which I guess technically happened since they had a few out in the hands of various reviewers. I wonder if a 2022 will ever be delivered?
Dealer says they ordered some in Jan and still have no idea when they might show up.

And as far as the Eco Diesel - ours is almost 7 years old and we are trying to decide what to do. You just can't beat the around town at 23MPG average and 30 on the highway.

·
Registered
439 Posts
From what I've seen, reading around the web, the GC won't probably get the I6 until 2024 MY. Could be sooner, no announcement from Jeep either way, but so far the Grand Wagoneer is the only car you can order one on (525hp hurricane version). GC will get the 425hp version, no hybrid for now, and maybe the 525+hp motor in a track hawk type model, but likely only in the two row. Eventually anything that has the Hemi now will have the I6TT as an option. That's all based on what Stellantis has let out of the bag so far.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts