Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
101 - 111 of 111 Posts

· Registered
2023 Grand Cherokee L Summit Reserve
10 Posts
I guess maybe I don’t understand something here. What could it possibly do faster, better, or simpler, then just having the little Redarc control knob?

My understanding is that it has no switch anywhere, so if you need to pulse the trailer brakes to stop it from swaying, there is no way to do that? Usually when you need to do that, it’s an extremely urgent situation where are you are hyper focused on vehicle control, and are operating on instinct. I can’t even fathom trying to get to the right screen on Uconnect to pulse the brakes. You’d be in the ditch before you got to the right screen, canned in an emergency scenario, you’ll be lucky if you even hit the right button on the glass.

The whole thing just seems like a terrible idea to me from both a safety and convenience perspective.
Perhaps it is for people that don't want to wire in the knob and don't tow that often or anything significant. It's not as good as having a wired unit but it probably has a place in the market. They sell a lot of them.

· Registered
2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Summit
918 Posts
Perhaps it is for people that don't want to wire in the knob and don't tow that often or anything significant. It's not as good as having a wired unit but it probably has a place in the market. They sell a lot of them.

Yeah, I think it is probably geared to those people that would rather mess with their phone, then open up a trim panel. It just goes inline with the trailer wiring jack, right?
And their first bullet point
"Wireless, portable design allows for easy transfer from one vehicle to another"
Maybe a bit also for people that lease/rent a vehicle, or rent the actual trailer. Would be a great item for the rental place to rent out to people (like me) with a tow vehicle but nothing in there to prep for a one-off rental. Or even to share between tow vehicles...
This is nice, multiple tow vehicle and trailer profiles
Hand Mobile phone Telephony Communication Device Mobile device

And @Sarge you'll get a kick out of this, the app does have a manual braking button control, but peek at the top of the screen (why would they include that picture?) 🤦‍♂️
Communication Device Gesture Finger Thumb Font

· Registered
441 Posts
Has this applied to all years of the GCL? Our 2023s have washers on the front camera, infrared (night vision) sensor, and two rear cameras. I thought only the front camera had a washer. Quite a nice feature, especially in winter weather.

Downside is I think the wireless charging pad sucks. It isn't unreliable, it is just SLOW and cannot keep a phone charged when it is streaming. I have to plug my phone into a USB port to obtain a full charge and this is on two different 2023s we own.

· Registered
979 Posts
Has this applied to all years of the GCL? Our 2023s have washers on the front camera, infrared (night vision) sensor, and two rear cameras. I thought only the front camera had a washer. Quite a nice feature, especially in winter weather.

Downside is I think the wireless charging pad sucks. It isn't unreliable, it is just SLOW and cannot keep a phone charged when it is streaming. I have to plug my phone into a USB port to obtain a full charge and this is on two different 2023s we own.
Yes the wireless charger is more of a battery maintainer.
(I haven’t seen a wireless car charger that’s any better) But I’m glad to have it.
My phone charges at night so I don’t need it to be brought back from the dead. It is nice to just put your phone down and have it charge. I certainly don’t miss having cords flopped all over the center console.
if you need a wired charge theJeep is more than accommodating will all it’s available usb points.
I wanted the rear window shades, the fact it was lumped in with a wireless charger was a bonus. And a reasonably priced option in my opinion.

· Registered
618 Posts
I’d bet you that the slow charging is a function of the distance between the phone battery and the actual charging coil. Thicker cases cause the charge to slow down (and generate more heat). Given how the charger is under a rubber mat, I’m guessing that causes the charger to be slow.

When you purchase wireless chargers, they typically have the hard plastic surface and no cover. Millimeters make a difference with wireless charging.

I’ve got a thick phone case that holds my drivers license and two cards in the case. Sometimes the phone won’t charge through the car on any charger. I’m actually impressed that the blue light comes on in the GCL even with my case.

· Registered
240 Posts
Is there any "always on" charging port other than the one in the cargo area?

· Registered
441 Posts
Is there any "always on" charging port other than the one in the cargo area?
Depending on power needs, the USB ports up front are always on. I occasionally plug in my phone to charge since USB charges it faster and I noticed it continues charging even after vehicle is off.

· Registered
1,077 Posts
Depending on power needs, the USB ports up front are always on. I occasionally plug in my phone to charge since USB charges it faster and I noticed it continues charging even after vehicle is off.
How long after you turn off the car do your USB ports keep charging? I think they turn off after 60 seconds or something like that. It might be adjustable. Or it might simply relate to how long you have it set to continue playing the stereo after you turn the car off. There’s a setting you can adjust for that in the Uconnect system.

· Registered
979 Posts
I noticed this yesterday. Left my phone in the Jeep (off) for a while , found my phone fully charged a few hours later (it was at 25% when I plugged in)… odd.

101 - 111 of 111 Posts