Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
1 - 20 of 137 Posts

·
Registered
'23 GC WL74 Limited (Jim)
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was advised by Erica at Koons that the '22 order banks are closed, and the '23 banks will open next month. Does anyone know the date they will open. I want to be ready as I missed the '22 MY by a frog's hair. :)

·
Super Moderator
11,107 Posts
It seems to me that Erica might be a good source for that kind of information... :)

Reactions: Dave800

·
Registered
289 Posts
Surprising that they're starting '23 model year production so soon. That used to be an August/September thing, except sometimes with all-new models being released earlier. I wonder why. There hasn't been any news about the new I6 being available in '23 for the WL, which is what I would have thought would maybe trigger the changeover this early.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It seems to me that Erica might be a good source for that kind of information... :)
One would think, but she wasn't forthcoming with that info when ask. Could be the date hasn't been set yet.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Surprising that they're starting '23 model year production so soon. That used to be an August/September thing, except sometimes with all-new models being released earlier. I wonder why. There hasn't been any news about the new I6 being available in '23 for the WL, which is what I would have thought would maybe trigger the changeover this early.
That's what I was thinking sarge. However, things have changed a lot in the last several years.

·
Super Moderator
11,107 Posts
Historically, order banks would close May-June-ish with new model year production starting beginning of July. Even if they intend to start production for MY23 at that common (but not universal) time of the year, they may have such a backlog that stopping orders now was the way to go. They also are currently on a plant reconfiguration for what used to be called "JNAP" or "Jefferson North" which is next to the new facility that's been producing all the WL vehicles from the start. JNAP ceased producing the "WK2" platform and is moving on to WL. That likely also figures into things.

Reactions: Wanted33

·
Registered
394 Posts
So, do I read this correctly - no new factory orders for 22MY? All dealers? There is almost zero inventory around here for 2 row Overland, loaded or otherwise.

·
Super Moderator
11,107 Posts
So, do I read this correctly - no new factory orders for 22MY? All dealers? There is almost zero inventory around here for 2 row Overland, loaded or otherwise.
If the order banks are actually shut down, the answer is yes, no new orders for MY22 JGCs and yes, that would be across all dealers. Given that the OP got that message from a known resource at one of the highest volume dealers in the country, I suspect it's true.

·
Registered
394 Posts
I suspect it's true.
Huh, just this minute I got an unsolicited call from my local dealer (the one I planned not to use ;)), guessing they got my contact info from when I did a trade-in estimate the other day using some online tool. The nice person on the phone said, "Oh yes, we're still taking orders." She did confirm they have nothing in transit I'd be interested in, but did note the list is constantly changing.

They may have a different story once they try to enter/submit an order, but who knows??

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Huh, just this minute I got an unsolicited call from my local dealer (the one I planned not to use ;)), guessing they got my contact info from when I did a trade-in estimate the other day using some online tool. The nice person on the phone said, "Oh yes, we're still taking orders." She did confirm they have nothing in transit I'd be interested in, but did note the list is constantly changing.

They may have a different story once they try to enter/submit an order, but who knows??
I've sent a PDF of my order to 4 different dealers. Two sent me a price sheet, but never mentioned the order banks being closed. One doesn't seem to be interested in selling me a JGC. The last, Erica at Koons, told me the banks were closed and would be open again next month. She said she would take my order then. My wife had the same question you have, "why would a dealer take your order if the order banks are closed". My answer, they are afraid that they could lose a sell if they told me. So, they just proceeded like nothing is wrong, leading me to believe that they would place my order, and all would be well with the world. With the way things are going a 3/4 week wait until I heard something would be a non issue for the me, or the dealer. Then when I finally get my JGC they would just say, oh wow, look you got a '23. Who knew.........Sneaky things dealers are.

Jim

·
Premium Member
1,541 Posts
Looking at the dates in that table, orders may still be open (subject to allocation) for the 2022 WL74

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Looking at the dates in that table, orders may still be open (subject to allocation) for the 2022 WL74
IDK, could be. I'm going with what Erica at Koons told me. And at 6% below invoice she could tell me the moon was actually made of green cheese, and I would be fine with that. "nah mean"........:p

·
Super Moderator
11,107 Posts
The nice person on the phone said, "Oh yes, we're still taking orders."
A dealer "taking orders" doesn't necessarily translate to submitting a valid order to the manufacturer. If the system will not permit orders...there is no real order until that function gets turned back on. Unless they can give you a VON (vehicle order number) within a day or two of your "order" with them, it's not a real order. Always take what someone at a dealer tells you with a grain of salt... ;)

Tom makes a good point, too..."what" you are ordering makes a difference, too.

Reactions: jmsalt1

·
Registered
289 Posts
IDK, could be. I'm going with what Erica at Koons told me. And at 6% below invoice she could tell me the moon was actually made of green cheese, and I would be fine with that. "nah mean"........:p
How are they doing this at 6% below invoice? 6% below MSRP would be impressive, but 6% below invoice might be better than even 'employee pricing'. By my calculations, for a 4x4 V8 Overland L, that's around 10% off MSRP.

That happens plenty with corporate trunk money, but maybe they're a high volume dealer who gets that kind of pricing? Not sure how Jeep plays the game with their dealers.

·
Registered
2018 Grand Cherokee Limited and a 2020 Grand Cherokee Altitude
137 Posts
I wonder how long jeep will make the WL? The WK2 seemed to last forever at around 10 plus years. Part shortages and all that would make me think they’ll stick with this platform for a while. Obviously the 4Xe models will be a factor but I’m mostly speaking about the WL visual design language.

·
Super Moderator
11,107 Posts
How are they doing this at 6% below invoice? 6% below MSRP would be impressive, but 6% below invoice might be better than even 'employee pricing'. By my calculations, for a 4x4 V8 Overland L, that's around 10% off MSRP.

That happens plenty with corporate trunk money, but maybe they're a high volume dealer who gets that kind of pricing? Not sure how Jeep plays the game with their dealers.
They can do it because they are an extremely high volume dealer that makes their money on that volume. They don't "pay" invoice....and the incentives they earn because of volume are substantial. The Koons program for Jeep Garage members has been in place for many years now with prices typically in the 4-6% below invoice, depending on model. I never buy a vehicle referencing "MSRP"...it always revolves around invoice price.

·
Super Moderator
11,107 Posts
I wonder how long jeep will make the WL? The WK2 seemed to last forever at around 10 plus years.
11 model years, actually, for "WK2". The original intent was for a new generation to be released for MY19. That didn't happen for whatever reasons and they finally got QL...at least the three row...out the door for MY21 "mid-year". I doubt that WL will go 11 years, but would guess 6-7 years is a reasonable number.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Were there any substantial differences between the MY21 L and the MY22 L? The answer may be telling for the WL74 MY23 vs. MY22.

1 - 20 of 137 Posts