Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I got this status update from Jeep Chat on 2 separate tries a couple days apart.

Seems hard to believe hearing other's stories of months long delays. I asked the last guy to confirm if my VON matched the VIN, thinking maybe some simple error/confusion. He confirmed it matched, and actually gave me the correct order date of 4/18 before I asked.

The guy did note it could take up to 3 weeks to actually arrive at the dealer, and he is unable to provide an ETA during this phase of the process.

Called my dealer, no reply. If this is true, I need to get off my butt an decide about my trade-in vs private sale (2011 JGC WK).

Am I misunderstanding this guy's update?

(2 Row 2022 Overland, Baltic Gray, Loaded)

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I see my dealer's website shows 4 GCs "In Transit". None of the listed VINs match mine, and none are Overland trim. So, not a snafu where dealer gave me the wrong VON...

Hmm.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I’m at three months and finally have a build sheet comes in a few days ago. Dealer said 1-3 weeks now and in JB status. On the Jeep website, you can see the Jeeps coming in up to a 250 mile radius of where you are at if you build out a Jeep. It will show exact matches and near matches. Pretty sure it has the VIN last time I looked too. Could be a way to look it up.

Mine is all option SR with hemi - likely caused some of the wait.

·
Registered
2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Summit Reserve 4x4 5.7L
164 Posts
I just took delivery of the 22 GC L summit reserve I ordered on 1/14 and it never showed up as “in transit” or “on dealer’s lot” when searching dealer’s inventory. So I’m not sure if specially ordered vehicles ever show up when searching inventory.

·
Registered
'23 GC WL74 Limited (Jim)
152 Posts
These days it's hard to predict a vehicles build date at any of the manufacturers. With supply constraints, and the chip shortage, builds with just the right options could be chosen quickly. Maybe, and hopefully your order was placed at just the right time with just the right options (or lack of options), and the systems computers said it "build this one now". Good luck, I hope that's the case. We all know that "the waiting is the hardest part" (with respect to the late, great Tom Petty).

Jim

Reactions: markp99

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Still suspicious, but:

I swung by the dealership this morning. Asked if I could get an update on my order, salesperson replied, "We haven't gotten informed about the VIN yet." I explained that I got the VIN via Jeep Chat, and they claim its In Transit.

Sales person typed the VIN into their system and returned the POC with a status code of "KZ - Released by Plant and Invoiced". POC checked out w/ correct trim and options, them as dealership, and me as buyer. Order date 4/18, ship date 4/27.

She did clarify the status code on her screen was actually "KZLD", noting there could be some delay, but they do not have visibility beyond the code. They do have access to some other system, apparently it was down this morning.

The sales person agreed ~10 days does seem pretty quick especially in light of other's very long wait times. She'll be keeping an eye out knowing the VIN is assigned and Jeep is in transit, checking daily at her end.

I suppose some combination of circumstances may have contributed to this short duration, but not getting too excited just yet...

·
Super Moderator
11,103 Posts
That could be an all-time "world record"...

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I am able to pull my Sticker and Build Sheet today. Was unable on prior attempts.

Everything seems in order...

·
Registered
67 Posts
Just ordered yesterday, so I hope this experience in indicative of quicker turnarounds coming - though this seems like an unusual situation...

Also, dealer just gave me the VIN number today, 24 hours after ordering. Is that unusually quick? It's showing status "D."

·
Registered
2 Posts
I got this status update from Jeep Chat on 2 separate tries a couple days apart.

Seems hard to believe hearing other's stories of months long delays. I asked the last guy to confirm if my VON matched the VIN, thinking maybe some simple error/confusion. He confirmed it matched, and actually gave me the correct order date of 4/18 before I asked.

The guy did note it could take up to 3 weeks to actually arrive at the dealer, and he is unable to provide an ETA during this phase of the process.

Called my dealer, no reply. If this is true, I need to get off my butt an decide about my trade-in vs private sale (2011 JGC WK).

Am I misunderstanding this guy's update?

(2 Row 2022 Overland, Baltic Gray, Loaded)

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
A few days ago, Jeep chat ckd my VIN for my build ordered late Feb. Agent told me the software was down and I should ck back in a week. 😠
There was a recent post in one on the WL threads, like yesterday, noting the system was finally back online. Hope it's true, and I bet the dealer hopes it's true as well. Here's the post:

FYI for those that are still looking at tracking - my dealer said the system is back up today and sent me an update. Happy hunting.
My last call to my salesperson, before reading the post above, replied with same status and code as a few days ago (in transit, delayed). I'll give another day or so and will check back.

Trying to be patient... :)

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Tonite Jeep chat gave me an ETA to the dealer of 5/10 to 5/19. I'll swing by the dealer this weekend to see if they have the same ETA. I may need to get rolling selling or trading my current 2011 Limited. No space in the driveway for 3 cars and the camper.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Dealer just called to let me know my Jeep is off the train and on the truck on its way to the dealer. ETA is now listed as 5/9.

She explained that they had originally made the order for this Overland with these exact options as part of their normal allocation order (among other trims). When I placed my order on 4/18 the factory essentially reassigned the Jeep to me. So, appears the dealer ate most the production queue time. I had been swinging by the dealer's lot occasionally these past few months to kick some tires before deciding I wanted to buy. Their lot was usually mostly empty of new Jeeps, except for a few Wagoneers (don't seem to be moving very quickly). Looking at Jeep.com today, I see a few Laredos and Limiteds listed as In-Transit to them; these must be the balance of their allocation.

Happy to have this Jeep ahead of plan. We have a trip planned to Maine in June; we'll be pulling our small camper. I'll need to rack-up some good miles before then to ensure a decent break-in.

Ordered 4/18, Built 4/27, Delivered 5/9 = 21 days. Crazy.

·
Registered
'23 GC WL74 Limited (Jim)
152 Posts
Dealer just called to let me know my Jeep is off the train and on the truck on its way to the dealer. ETA is now listed as 5/9.

She explained that they had originally made the order for this Overland with these exact options as part of their normal allocation order (among other trims). When I placed my order on 4/18 the factory essentially reassigned the Jeep to me. So, appears the dealer ate most the production queue time. I had been swinging by the dealer's lot occasionally these past few months to kick some tires before deciding I wanted to buy. Their lot was usually mostly empty of new Jeeps, except for a few Wagoneers (don't seem to be moving very quickly). Looking at Jeep.com today, I see a few Laredos and Limiteds listed as In-Transit to them; these must be the balance of their allocation.

Happy to have this Jeep ahead of plan. We have a trip planned to Maine in June; we'll be pulling our small camper. I'll need to rack-up some good miles before then to ensure a decent break-in.

Ordered 4/18, Built 4/27, Delivered 5/9 = 21 days. Crazy.
Congratulations Mark. It's like one of my old LT's used to say, "I'd rather have luck than a license to steal". :cool:

Post some pics when you get 'er home.

Jim

Reactions: markp99

·
Super Moderator
11,103 Posts
She explained that they had originally made the order for this Overland with these exact options as part of their normal allocation order (among other trims). When I placed my order on 4/18 the factory essentially reassigned the Jeep to me.
I had a feeling that might be the case, but I also suspect that it was the dealer that decided to turn their previous order of an identical vehicle to you. Check the sticker when you get it...and see if your name is on the sticker. ;)

Congrats!

·
Super Moderator
11,103 Posts
The dealer was as surprised as I was over the timing. I'm not so sure they had anything to do with this, but who knows. 😄
Maybe with the supply/production constraints the manufacturer is switching things around, but historically, an end-customer order would have their name on the sticker "built for Joe Blow" or something to that effect.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts