Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just received my PC today for my 22 GCSR V6. A long time ago I tried these and didn't see the point. But with newer cars its different. On both my X5s - I used Racechip (GTS Black and XLR) - both pedal and tune. Even with the tune turned off, the throttle controller made a 100% difference in the base engine specs performance in all ranges.

I would never have loved both my X5s without the throttle controller.

As ours is a NA V6 vs TT - I'm not expecting the same bump as the X5, but here's hoping it's noticeable.

I'll report back later this weekend after the install and a few drives on different settings.

Fingers crossed.

· Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Hi all...super easy 5 min install.

All I can say is I'm EXTREMELY happy with the throttle remapping. And I only have mine in Sport 4. All these electronic DriveBbWire throttles are coded to be so slow and fuel efficient.

I'm now not mad at all about the V6.

It should have come like this from the factory. And just like my X5's - I can now fully enjoy the car.

· Registered
527 Posts
Hi all...super easy 5 min install.

All I can say is I'm EXTREMELY happy with the throttle remapping. And I only have mine in Sport 4. All these electronic DriveBbWire throttles are coded to be so slow and fuel efficient.

I'm now not mad at all about the V6.

It should have come like this from the factory. And just like my X5's - I can now fully enjoy the car.
I really like throttle controllers, but not a huge fan of PC. They're not made in USA, they don't have a good warranty, the controls are laid out in a way that makes you think you have more control than you actually do...oh...and the horror stories about them catching on fire from overheating.

· Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That might be a previous version of both the controller and the company. They are located in SoCal since 2015 - with quite a few certifications such as ISO, CE, etc. The module itself is really nicely done, and the custom packaging cost a pretty penny as well - its custom molded plastic. It seems they have upgraded the entire design and processor. Maybe that was the issue for some before.

I've seen people say things on my other forums about RaceChips (the most popular pluyg and play) as well...but I've had them on multiple BMWs, and APR and ABT on my S Audis, and I can't even remember which ones on my GTR and daily driver Infinitis. Its not that I don't doubt those that have had issues, but I have not had a single one on all of the above. I don't run them at full sport plus.

It might blow up in my face...so I guess time will tell. But it really has transformed driveability and power. So much so that I went from Sport (the 3rd level - Sport + is above it) on level 4 to level 1.

:)

· Registered
527 Posts
That might be a previous version of both the controller and the company. They are located in SoCal since 2015 - with quite a few certifications such as ISO, CE, etc. The module itself is really nicely done, and the custom packaging cost a pretty penny as well - its custom molded plastic. It seems they have upgraded the entire design and processor. Maybe that was the issue for some before.

I've seen people say things on my other forums about RaceChips (the most popular pluyg and play) as well...but I've had them on multiple BMWs, and APR and ABT on my S Audis, and I can't even remember which ones on my GTR and daily driver Infinitis. Its not that I don't doubt those that have had issues, but I have not had a single one on all of the above. I don't run them at full sport plus.

It might blow up in my face...so I guess time will tell. But it really has transformed driveability and power. So much so that I went from Sport (the 3rd level - Sport + is above it) on level 4 to level 1.

:)
It could be. All of them do the same thing. PC is still made in Turkey though, per their website. The other thing I worry about is if the module does fail...you're left with a non functional gas pedal until you disconnect it. But hopefully yours works out fine.

· Registered
527 Posts
They seem to be in SoCal now - but also sold in multiple countries: Pedal Commander About Us Page

One of the things I like about a throttle controller - and the Jeep one in particular - is that if if fails - i can simply unplug it and reinsert the stock one back in under 5 minutes with no tools necessary.
They're headquarterd in SoCal but like many other companies; the manufacturing is done in a different country. In this case..Turkey (since 2011 per the page you posted).

· Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've run global companies with global supply chains for 30 years - so if I were worried about a part from another country - well...there is probably not a single item of any kind in my house that does not have a component or ingredient from somewhere around the world. lol. :D

· Registered
527 Posts
I've run global companies with global supply chains for 30 years - so if I were worried about a part from another country - well...there is probably not a single item of any kind in my house that does not have a component or ingredient from somewhere around the world. lol. :D
Oh of course, no argument there. I'm just particular when it comes to adding parts onto my vehicle. I think the only thing I've added to my Ram and Jeep that isn't USA made are the LED bulbs lol.

· Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Not that I am aware of. IF there was an issue with the controller - you just unplug it and no one knows it was there. The only caveat to these - is that you really need to be stationary and in park when changing the settings - versus driving down the road.

I've had them on newer BMWs and Audis and even when at the dealer for basic service they never even knew it was there. An actual chip tune (not a piggy back) can be detected - but not these plug in types.

· Administrator
11,978 Posts
Silly question, does installing this void any warranty on the vehicle?
In the US, use of third party products and parts cannot legally "void" a warranty. But if the vehicle manufacturer cam prove that a third party product caused specific damage/issues, they can refuse that claim but not a claim for something completely unrelated that would normally be covered.

Reactions: Sarge and parkstr8

· Registered
2023 Grand Cherokee L Summit Reserve
10 Posts
Just installed the PC in my new Reserve. What an awesome, dead simple mod! I was a bit let down by the 5.7. I thought it would have more pep. This definitely makes it more fun. I know people argue about whether it's worth what PC charges but I really like it.

· Registered
618 Posts
So what does this thing actually do? How does it “wake up” a vehicle? Without changing anything about the engine or drivetrain, does it simply change how far the vehicle thinks the gas pedal is depressed? So 0.5” depress now acts like 1” depressed?

· Registered
2023 Grand Cherokee L Summit Reserve
10 Posts
So what does this thing actually do? How does it “wake up” a vehicle? Without changing anything about the engine or drivetrain, does it simply change how far the vehicle thinks the gas pedal is depressed? So 0.5” depress now acts like 1” depressed?
That's a good way to describe it. The example I use is when you press down 1 inch, the first 1/2 inch is probably lag (or nothing happening). The 2nd half inch is the throttle slowly beginning to open. The PC skips right to the end of the inch so as soon as you press you're already open throttle.

· Registered
527 Posts
Yes. But it's a voltage change. While stock...when you press the throttle down 25%, the throttle body only opens about 15%.

· Registered
527 Posts
Thanks for the responses. Seems to me that it doesn’t change anything about the actual performance. Reminds me of quick turn throttles that we used in racing.
Yea it doesn't provide any HP or torque gains but the quicker throttle response is nice, not needed in a Jeep in my opinion. Was really nice to have in my Ram 1500 though. I prefer the JMS PedalMax.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts