Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Premium Member
2022 GC Summit
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a '22 Summit 2 row and would like a front tow or recovery hook. Mopar lists a part number for it of 68402988AA, but there in no way that's going to work. That looks like a permanent hook like you'd see on Overland. My bumper cover (facia) has no cut out or little flip up door to insert a hook in. Has anyone with a Summit found some kind of hook that will work? I searched and couldn't find anything for this on the WL Summit.

· Registered
958 Posts
We need a recovery point more than most people realize.
they even went as far as removing the supplied thread in tow eye (usually stored under cargo area floor)
That’s not the worst part… They removed the threads on the front of the Jeep so even if you order a tow eye your still royaly 🤬’d…..
absolutely unacceptable Jeep. Wake up!

· Premium Member
2022 GC Summit
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
they even went as far as removing the supplied thread in tow eye (usually stored under cargo area floor)
That’s not the worst part… They removed the threads on the front of the Jeep so even if you order a tow eye your still royaly 🤬’d…..
It looks like your car is an Overland from the pic.? Did you get to the front frame rail to know there is no threaded nut in there to accept the recovery hook? My Summit has a small removable part of the grille. Behind it is a piece of black flat plastic that would need to be cut to expose the end of the frame rail and the welded in nut, if its there. Did you get in that far to know its not there?

· Registered
958 Posts
It looks like your car is an Overland from the pic.? Did you get to the front frame rail to know there is no threaded nut in there to accept the recovery hook? My Summit has a small removable part of the grille. Behind it is a piece of black flat plastic that would need to be cut to expose the end of the frame rail and the welded in nut, if its there. Did you get in that far to know its not there?
I I have a Summit reserve.
(Hence the no tow point option)
But making the tow hooks work isn’t impossible.
just needs a bracket to raise or lower the hooks to the mesh part of the bumper.
(4Xe below as reference)
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle

· Registered
1,713 Posts
Summit's haven't had a hook or eye since 2014, it's not new to the WL. Agreed, we need something though!

· Premium Member
2022 GC Summit
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Summit's haven't had a hook or eye since 2014, it's not new to the WL. Agreed, we need something though!
Thanks, I'm aware of that. Trying to find out if there is a nut in there or not? 4 liter beater posted the following,
"That’s not the worst part… They removed the threads on the front of the Jeep so even if you order a tow eye..."
I'd like to know how he knows that? It seems strange that when frames are getting built, they designate which car is going to have a tow hook or not and leave the nut off. But, most everything with Jeep is strange these days?
Like. if you leave your hatch open overnight in your garage, the only way to close it is, manually?

· Premium Member
2022 GC Summit
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
On my car, when you pull the plastic grille piece out there is black flat plastic behind it that needs to get cut or a hole saw to expose where the nut would be. I was hoping not to do that if there's no nut. On your car, the nut wouldn't be right there. It would be about 6" back in there on the rail. The pic that you posted shows how far back the receiver nut is. But the correct recovery hook wouldn't look like the blue one pictured. That one has 2 bolts just behind the blue hook that attach to the frame rail. The correct recovery hook for this application doesn't have that, its just a threaded shaft.

· Registered
958 Posts
The 4 xe example was to show tow hooks can be added with a slight tweak to the hook location.
the emergency thread in style isn’t available on my Summit reserve because there is no threads behind the plastic square cap on the front bumper

· Premium Member
2022 GC Summit
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited by Moderator)
"because there is no threads behind the plastic square cap on the front bumper'
I understand that, but that's not where the threads are. They are way back in there. That's why the recovery hook is so long. I'll open my grille cap, cut the plastic shield behind it and see if that nut is there. If so, just order the recovery hook, throw it in the well, and hope I never need it.

· Premium Member
2022 GC Summit
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The cap in my grille lines up with a 1/2 circle behind it that needs to be cut. It's exactly the same height as the plastic cap in the bumper of an Overland at the dealership. I think all the alignments are okay, the question is if there's a nut back there or not?

· Premium Member
2022 GC Summit
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You cannot use a recovery hook in the factory location provided on this car. Pics 1 & 2 show the grille location for the hook, and the piece of plastic that you pic out to use a hook (if you could). I did find and Easter Egg while looking (pic 3) !. Pic 4 shows that when you remove the foam between the bumper cover and the steel impact bar located behind it, there is NO hole to insert a recovery hook into. And the last pic shows the piece of foam that was removed. Maybe someone at Jeep (are you listening) could explain why they would produce a 4WD vehicle, with a grille cut out, and a spare tire well provision for a recovery hook, and then not provide any way to use it? Maybe Jeep has a clever way to recover this car in the event of a snowy slide off, or stuck in sand? So simple to just put a hole in the impact bar to slide the recovery hook through, and then a nut to thread into. I actually haven't found anythingabout this car that I like better than my Trackhawk.
Automotive parking light Grille Hood Automotive lighting Motor vehicle
Animal feed Grass People in nature Flooring Wood
Azure Fluid Rectangle Liquid Material property
Automotive tire Font Material property Gas Rectangle
Brown Road surface Asphalt Wood Tints and shades
Automotive parking light Grille Hood Automotive lighting Motor vehicle
Animal feed Grass People in nature Flooring Wood
Azure Fluid Rectangle Liquid Material property
Automotive tire Font Material property Gas Rectangle
Brown Road surface Asphalt Wood Tints and shades

· Registered
958 Posts
Yes this is the exact problem I was talking about, no way to install a tow eye.. terrible oversight of Jeep….
Then, to add more genius….”let’s only give the eLSD to Summit reserves”.. with no ability to have a front recovery point!
I’m afraid Jeep is confused…

· Premium Member
2022 GC Summit
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'm tired of the, "It's a Jeep Thing". Get your shit together!

· Premium Member
2017 Summit
8,883 Posts
I had the hooks on a 2014 Overland. When I ordered my 2017 Summit I figured it we be easy to add the hooks. Two service departments told me, no way. I have an Acura now but will be going back to a GC. I want tow hooks and QuadrLift, so it looks like Overland. I also do not want a black roof. (n)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts