Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
1 - 20 of 152 Posts

· Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wanted to show some pics of what the pkg looks like in real life vs the Jeep.com visualizer. We ordered it thinking it was a "black appearance" pkg as that's how it was originally described. It's actually a black/grey appearance pkg.

Though the pkg description says black painted wheels & black exterior trim, it also mentions neutral grey exterior trim. This isn't listed on the window sticker however (just black exterior trim).

What you'll receive is black over grey badges on the exterior. Grey trim rings around the black front grille, blackish/greyish wheels (look matte black in some lighting conditions and granite crystal grey in others). You may also receive the standard fine silver/gloss black roof rails instead of the supposed to be included gloss black roof rails.

On the interior, if you select the global black interior, the seats will have a light grey piping in addition to black and natural quilted pattern. This is not shown in the visualizer. It makes for an odd color combo & I don't know why they included it. The wood trim on ours varies in color/finish from piece to piece. Some pieces have a very dull appearance, almost as if there is a cloudy film over them. It honestly looks like very cheap plastic, and not like wood finishes in higher-end vehicles. I hope some others with this interior can post to see if it is the same in their vehicle or if ours is supposed to look better.
I'm most likely going to replace the "wood" trim pieces with maybe carbon fiber or even just black if I can find some because these look so poor quality.

Font Auto part Symbol Logo Electric blue

Vehicle Hood Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Car

Car Vehicle Land vehicle Grille Automotive lighting

Car Car seat cover Vehicle Automotive design Motor vehicle

Gear shift Car Car seat cover Vehicle Motor vehicle

Automotive lighting Grille Hood Motor vehicle Car

Motor vehicle Font Automotive exterior Material property Tints and shades

Tire Wheel Car Motor vehicle Vehicle

· Registered
331 Posts
On the interior, if you select the global black interior, the seats will have a light grey piping in addition to black and natural quilted pattern. This is not shown in the visualizer. It makes for an odd color combo & I don't know why they included it. The wood trim on ours varies in color/finish from piece to piece. Some pieces have a very dull appearance, almost as if there is a cloudy film over them. It honestly looks like very cheap plastic, and not like wood finishes in higher-end vehicles. I hope some others with this interior can post to see if it is the same in their vehicle or if ours is supposed to look better.
I'm most likely going to replace the "wood" trim pieces with maybe carbon fiber or even just black if I can find some because these look so poor quality.

View attachment 245256
View attachment 245258
View attachment 245262
View attachment 245260
View attachment 245261
View attachment 245259
View attachment 245257
View attachment 245263
I think that gray piping is in all the global black interiors.

You're the first person that has said the wood trim looks like cheap plastic. Gosh, I hope that's not the case as I'm picking up a SR this week. If some of the pieces look different or have a different finish, I would try to get those replaced. That seems like a manufacturing defect almost.

· Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think that gray piping is in all the global black interiors.

You're the first person that has said the wood trim looks like cheap plastic. Gosh, I hope that's not the case as I'm picking up a SR this week. If some of the pieces look different or have a different finish, I would try to get those replaced. That seems like a manufacturing defect almost.
Our '20 Overland High Altitude had the global black interior but no grey piping. So maybe that is a new addition? I would say if you're expecting wood trim similar to Mercedes, BMW, Lexus, etc. you'll be disappointed. My phone camera doesn't pick it up well at all but it has a very dull finish and like I mentioned cloudy appearance.
I'm going to bring it to the attention of the service department when I also show them my steering wheel that has several bubbles and wrinkles in the leather.

· Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm picking up a SR this week.
Go over it with a fine-toothed comb. Ours arrived with shipping damage, scratches on the doors, one wheel with scratches, interior plastic panels with scratches (side of the seats near the controls) and door panels scratched. Our dealer was great as they fixed the door scratches before we picked it up but the other items I'll have to go through Jeep & warranty to try to get resolved.

· Registered
226 Posts
The grey seat piping is shown on the build/price for Summit Reserves (shown below). So that should've been expected.

The wood has a matte finish not a glossy. It is also a Jeep and not a Mercedes so the quality of the wood isn't as good but I would say it is far from "plastic". I have noticed that the wood on the steering wheel is slightly off from the rest of the trim wood.

The roof rails should've been black but they are all shipping silver right now. The grey exterior accents are "a shade of black" I guess but I agree they are grey, same with the wheels. I think they look good, but it changes with what exterior they look good.

This is the first look we got at a HA back in April. Wheels are grey, trim is grey, but rails are black. So most of what you are experiencing is the way they intended it and showed it to the public

Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Automotive tire Car seat cover

· Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The grey seat piping is shown on the build/price for Summit Reserves (shown below). So that should've been expected.

The wood has a matte finish not a glossy. It is also a Jeep and not a Mercedes so the quality of the wood isn't as good but I would say it is far from "plastic". I have noticed that the wood on the steering wheel is slightly off from the rest of the trim wood.

The roof rails should've been black but they are all shipping silver right now. The grey exterior accents are "a shade of black" I guess but I agree they are grey, same with the wheels. I think they look good, but it changes with what exterior they look good.

This is the first look we got at a HA back in April. Wheels are grey, trim is grey, but rails are black. So most of what you are experiencing is the way they intended it and showed it to the public

View attachment 245273
I hadn't seen that video of the HA, but ordered going off the Jeep.com visualizer where everything appears gloss black when you select the pkg. Tbh you really need to zoom in on that interior pic to see grey piping on the seats (at least for these eyes), but I agree it's there. The same pkg on the Altitude or Limited does give you all black components, so it's not a reach to assume that's what you'll get when ordering the pkg on the Summit.

The trim rings around the grille are simple to change and very inexpensive ($14) so that's not an issue. The L badge is coming off anyway, so that's not an issue, and the grey under the remaining badges isn't noticeable unless you really look close. The wheels are what they are, just don't call them black painted wheels if they're not black. The roof rails need to be replaced whenever they get black available as they're supposed to be included & the fine silver looks like garbage with the rest of the pkg.

I'm going to disagree with you on the wood trim. You can't say it's just a Jeep & not Mercedes when Jeep charges $70k for this vehicle. Every piece of wood trim in our vehicle is cloudy and has a gradient appearance, more cloudy on the bottom then less as you move up on the piece. It does look very cheap, imo, especially for the price of the vehicle. The other gripe I have is plastics used on the lower dash, center console, and lower door panels are very cheap looking as well, especially next to the nice stitched leather upper panels.
My BMW, which costs significantly less than this Jeep has much better looking plastics.

Some of these things I overlooked in our '20 GC because it had a sticker of $55k and we got it for $46k brand new. At a sticker of $70k, I do expect higher quality out of Jeep.

· Registered
331 Posts
I'm going to disagree with you on the wood trim. You can't say it's just a Jeep & not Mercedes when Jeep charges $70k for this vehicle. Every piece of wood trim in our vehicle is cloudy and has a gradient appearance, more cloudy on the bottom then less as you move up on the piece. It does look very cheap, imo, especially for the price of the vehicle. The other gripe I have is plastics used on the lower dash, center console, and lower door panels are very cheap looking as well, especially next to the nice stitched leather upper panels.
My BMW, which costs significantly less than this Jeep has much better looking plastics.

Some of these things I overlooked in our '20 GC because it had a sticker of $55k and we got it for $46k brand new. At a sticker of $70k, I do expect higher quality out of Jeep.
I agree about the level of quality that I expect for 80k (4xe SR). I was floored when I realized I could spec out a high end x5 for within $1000. I personally hate glossy things and dislike glossy wood so I am looking forward to the matte finish, although if it looks plastic I'm going to be very disappointed. If the finish looks non-uniform, then that should be a warranty issue.

· Registered
2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Summit
918 Posts
I agree about the level of quality that I expect for 80k (4xe SR). I was floored when I realized I could spec out a high end x5 for within $1000. I personally hate glossy things and dislike glossy wood so I am looking forward to the matte finish, although if it looks plastic I'm going to be very disappointed. If the finish looks non-uniform, then that should be a warranty issue.
FWIW, I am super pleased with the wood in my Summit L. I love the "open pore" wood in newer cars. My Volvo S90 has similar wood and is also extremely nice.
Much more subdued and classic while also more modern feeling in a way, then the highly glossed wood in my 2012 Overland (which I also loved).

Reactions: JABCAT

· Registered
226 Posts
I hadn't seen that video of the HA, but ordered going off the Jeep.com visualizer where everything appears gloss black when you select the pkg. Tbh you really need to zoom in on that interior pic to see grey piping on the seats (at least for these eyes), but I agree it's there. The same pkg on the Altitude or Limited does give you all black components, so it's not a reach to assume that's what you'll get when ordering the pkg on the Summit.

The trim rings around the grille are simple to change and very inexpensive ($14) so that's not an issue. The L badge is coming off anyway, so that's not an issue, and the grey under the remaining badges isn't noticeable unless you really look close. The wheels are what they are, just don't call them black painted wheels if they're not black. The roof rails need to be replaced whenever they get black available as they're supposed to be included & the fine silver looks like garbage with the rest of the pkg.

Would love to see pics of your interior wood. My order is still a ways out, but would like to prep myself mentally for that to be disappointing. The wood was one thing I was really excited about. I don't mind the badges, but agree that L needs to come off. The grey trim rings really bother you? I like them, especially to throw a touch of the rim color somewhere. Would be great if you can raise enough stink with Jeep to get black rails, I wouldn't be shocked if all of a sudden some time next year due to supply chain they start shipping with black. The chrome doesn't look great.. The black glossy plastic inside is definitely cheap and bothers the hell out of me.

· Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Would love to see pics of your interior wood. My order is still a ways out, but would like to prep myself mentally for that to be disappointing. The wood was one thing I was really excited about. I don't mind the badges, but agree that L needs to come off. The grey trim rings really bother you? I like them, especially to throw a touch of the rim color somewhere. Would be great if you can raise enough stink with Jeep to get black rails, I wouldn't be shocked if all of a sudden some time next year due to supply chain they start shipping with black. The chrome doesn't look great.. The black glossy plastic inside is definitely cheap and bothers the hell out of me.
I'll see if I can get what I'm describing with the wood to show up in photos. At the end of the day, it's my wife's vehicle and she's not overly thrilled with the look of the wood or the grey accents. She traded in a '20 High Altitude that had all granite crystal trim/wheels/etc. & really wanted all black for the $1900 she paid for the pkg. Re: the black roof rails, our dealer filed a claim with Stallantis to get the black rails and has already contacted their area manager several times as well. One way or another they'll get us the black rails.

· Registered
331 Posts
I wonder if you (and your wife) just don't like the look of open pore wood, which by design has a dull more natural look? This is the reason why I went with the Summit Reserve. I love walnut and open pore wood. However, if your trim looks uneven, that is a bigger issue.

· Registered
2018 Charger SP
13 Posts
Having traded in an X3 for our WL GC, I can say that the upshot is, the Jeep will very likely be far easier and less costly to maintain, and far less fragile feeling than the X5.

· Registered
2018 Charger SP
13 Posts
Do you have a Summit Reserve? Can you comment on the finishes vs the x3?
We have a Overland, so somewhat close on trim level at least. ;)

*for comparison purposes, our X3 was a M40i model (Exec pkg, carbon fiber trim)

Seats: Our GC does not have contrasted piping on the seats, but they're very comfortable and the stitching feels tight and secure. Compared to the X3, these seats are noticeably more comfortable, especially when in the car 1+hr or more

Trim: We spec'd the X3 with CF trim, as the BMW wood options looks way too glossy and did not fit in well with the X3 design (in our opinion). The wood trim in our GC reminds me of the trim in my parents' Murano - matte finish, shaded just enough to be noticeable without clashing with the rest of the interior. Sure the X3's CF trim felt nicer per se, but I also worried about even scuffing it, because replacing it with a similar pattern piece would be impossible.

Gloss trim: Both the X3 and the GC have some glass/piano black finishing around the center console and while it looks good, my inner car detailer HATES it because it's a dust/fingerprint magnet. xD

Overall: There's a few little fit-finish squeaks here or there on rough roads, but we had that in the X3 too. With the massive tech upgrade over the WK, the WL feels just as 'tech capable' as the X3 did, but with the bonus of feeling much less finicky and fragile. At least for us, we don't feel let down by the finishing.

· Registered
331 Posts
We have a Overland, so somewhat close on trim level at least. ;)

*for comparison purposes, our X3 was a M40i model (Exec pkg, carbon fiber trim)

Seats: Our GC does not have contrasted piping on the seats, but they're very comfortable and the stitching feels tight and secure. Compared to the X3, these seats are noticeably more comfortable, especially when in the car 1+hr or more

Trim: We spec'd the X3 with CF trim, as the BMW wood options looks way too glossy and did not fit in well with the X3 design (in our opinion). The wood trim in our GC reminds me of the trim in my parents' Murano - matte finish, shaded just enough to be noticeable without clashing with the rest of the interior. Sure the X3's CF trim felt nicer per se, but I also worried about even scuffing it, because replacing it with a similar pattern piece would be impossible.

Gloss trim: Both the X3 and the GC have some glass/piano black finishing around the center console and while it looks good, my inner car detailer HATES it because it's a dust/fingerprint magnet. xD

Overall: There's a few little fit-finish squeaks here or there on rough roads, but we had that in the X3 too. With the massive tech upgrade over the WK, the WL feels just as 'tech capable' as the X3 did, but with the bonus of feeling much less finicky and fragile. At least for us, we don't feel let down by the finishing.
Thank you! I hate the piano black trim too and am going to cover it with XPEL stealth (matte) just as soon as I take delivery.

· Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I wonder if you (and your wife) just don't like the look of open pore wood, which by design has a dull more natural look? This is the reason why I went with the Summit Reserve. I love walnut and open pore wood. However, if your trim looks uneven, that is a bigger issue.
I don't think that is it, necessarily. I just think some of the pieces in our vehicle look pretty crappy/cheap. They look as if there is a film on them that needs to be wiped clean. Honestly, when I first got into the vehicle I started wiping them off with a microfiber cloth because I thought maybe the Xpel techs had spilled something on them that left a hazy film. I'm sure we'll stop paying attention to the trim as time goes on, but it was one of the features we were excited about when we placed the order. To me it just doesn't look like it belongs in a $70k vehicle, maybe $30k.

· Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thank you! I hate the piano black trim too and am going to cover it with XPEL stealth (matte) just as soon as I take delivery.
We talked to our Xpel installers about covering the piano black components with matte as well & will be taking it back in soon to do that.

· Registered
362 Posts
It is weird to that the door panels do not look like they are full leather with stitching like this one is. Those look like plain Summit door panels. That is one of the reasons I went with the Reserve because of the full leather. I sure hope my Tupelo has the full leather panels.

Luggage and bags Vehicle Automotive design Bag Motor vehicle

· Registered
331 Posts
It is weird to that the door panels do not look like they are full leather with stitching like this one is. Those look like plain Summit door panels. That is one of the reasons I went with the Reserve because of the full leather. I sure hope my Tupelo has the full leather panels.

View attachment 245302
Many of the reviewers talked about how the leather extended down to the lower cup holder, so it should - I'll find out in the next week or so.

1 - 20 of 152 Posts