Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've asked several local dealerships and have gotten different answers so now I don't trust any of them. I need to tow 6000+ and I'm considering 2 options:

2row Altitude: Very hard to find an instock model with the "Trailer Tow Prep Package". Nearest one is 300+ miles away. One dealership told me I don't actually need the tow package to tow (that all jeeps come with the hitch receiver). But I went back to the dealership when they were closed and removed the rear plastic cover and there is no hitch receiver (and they don't have any with the tow package for me to compare against).

2row Trailhawk. One dealership told me it cant tow it all. Another said it can tow 3500. The website lists a 'Trailer Tow" package as standard. I've found multiple articles reviewing the specific trailhawk version that state it can tow 6200 (same as all the v6's). Vast majority of info on the web seems to confirm the trailhawk can tow 6200 (w/ v6) but not a single dealership I've talked too seems to agree with that

my questions:
1) Do I need the 'Trailer Tow Prep Package" on the altitude to be able to tow?
2) How much can the trailhawk (v6) tow?

·
Registered
511 Posts
I've asked several local dealerships and have gotten different answers so now I don't trust any of them. I need to tow 6000+ and I'm considering 2 options:

2row Altitude: Very hard to find an instock model with the "Trailer Tow Prep Package". Nearest one is 300+ miles away. One dealership told me I don't actually need the tow package to tow (that all jeeps come with the hitch receiver). But I went back to the dealership when they were closed and removed the rear plastic cover and there is no hitch receiver (and they don't have any with the tow package for me to compare against).

2row Trailhawk. One dealership told me it cant tow it all. Another said it can tow 3500. The website lists a 'Trailer Tow" package as standard. I've found multiple articles reviewing the specific trailhawk version that state it can tow 6200 (same as all the v6's). Vast majority of info on the web seems to confirm the trailhawk can tow 6200 (w/ v6) but not a single dealership I've talked too seems to agree with that

my questions:
I personally would feel more comfortable with the towing package but I also would never try towing 6k+ pounds with a Grand Cherokee. The V6 4wd is rated for 6,200 pounds but I wouldn't go over 4,500, especially if pulling consistently on a highway. That's just my personal opinion.

·
Registered
473 Posts
From the manual. As you can see, any V6 is rated to tow 3500lbs. Any V6 that comes with the factory two prep package is rated to tow 6200lbs. Any V8 (they all come with the tow prep and hitch) is rated to tow 7200 lbs. Note that on the Limited, Altitude, and Laredo trims, the Tow Prep package includes the necessary bits to increase the towing capacity (tow prep list below the picture), but not the hitch itself.

Book Publication Font Material property Paper

Trailer Tow Prep Group
$695
  • 18-Inch Full-Size Steel Spare Wheel
  • 220-Amp Alternator
  • Automatic Headlamp Leveling System
  • Full Size Spare Tire
  • Heavy-Duty Engine Cooling
  • Rear Load-Leveling Suspension
  • Trailer-Hitch Zoom

·
Registered
473 Posts
I would say having had 3 of these GC's (2016, 2019, 2023), if you are even attempting to tow that kind of weight, get the V8. The V6 is great and fine for normal driving, and occasional towing. But regular towing and/or towing in that weight range I wouldn't do without the V8.

·
Registered
2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Summit Reserve 4x4 5.7L
285 Posts
The trailer tow “prep” package DOES NOT include a hitch receiver. It’s been documented numerous times that it is misleading.

You need the full trailer tow package. Buy a model where that is standard (Trailhawk, Overland, Summit 4x4 only).

Again… DO NOT just get the “prep” package It will not have the receiver.

The V6 4x4’s with the full package can tow 6,200 pounds and the V8 4x4’s can tow 7,200 pounds.

To whomever said to limit towing to 4,500 pounds…. I’ve towed 7,000 pounds on a regular basis and it is just fine.

·
Registered
511 Posts
The trailer tow “prep” package DOES NOT include a hitch receiver. It’s been documented numerous times that it is misleading.

You need the full trailer tow package. Buy a model where that is standard (Trailhawk, Overland, Summit 4x4 only).

The V6 4x4’s with the full package can tow 6,200 pounds and the V8 4x4’s can tow 7,200 pounds.

To whomever said to limit towing to 4,500 pounds…. I’ve towed 7,000 pounds on a regular basis and it is just fine.
7,000 pounds With a V6???? Not likely.

·
Registered
285 Posts
7,000 pounds With a V6???? Not likely.
I have the V8. It’s fine with 7,000 pounds. It won’t win any races, but it works fine towing a 7,000 pound boat or flat bed car trailer. An enclosed box trailer might cause it some issues. Haven’t towed one of those.

·
Registered
511 Posts
I have the V8. It’s fine with 7,000 pounds. It won’t win any races, but it works fine towing a 7,000 pound boat or flat bed car trailer. An enclosed box trailer might cause it some issues. Haven’t towed one of those.
That makes more sense. I was talking about the V6. Not only because of less power but that V6 weighs a lot less so pulling even 6,000 pounds would be a risk IMHO.

·
Registered
2022 Grand Cherokee L Laredo 3.6L V6 Pentastar
52 Posts
My Lou Fusz sales guy said my in-transit "Tow Prep Package" includes a receiver hitch. Two days later when the Jeep arrived, he ate crow but failed to do anything to make me whole. If the dealers don't know what they are selling, how are we supposed to know what we are buying?

I have a CURT hitch and harness.

·
Registered
2021 Jeep WK2 Trailhawk - 5.7L V8
33 Posts
From the manual. As you can see, any V6 is rated to tow 3500lbs. Any V6 that comes with the factory two prep package is rated to tow 6200lbs. Any V8 (they all come with the tow prep and hitch) is rated to tow 7200 lbs. Note that on the Limited, Altitude, and Laredo trims, the Tow Prep package includes the necessary bits to increase the towing capacity (tow prep list below the picture), but not the hitch itself.
Funny/not-so-funny story: when I bought my 2021 V8 Trailhawk (every available package minus DVD), my dealer not only insisted it was limited to 6000lbs but I even had to sign a document from the dealer (NOT Jeep) that I acknowledged they told me the tow rating was 6000lbs.

I tried to politely get a reason out of them as to why that is, despite all the information that points to V8s having 7200lbs, and he just said “it’s because of all the extra packages…”.

·
Registered
2004 VW Passat DIESE
2 Posts
We tow our 25 ft 7000 lb RV with a 2014 GC powered by EcoDiesel V6. It tows fine.

·
Registered
2021 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk Hemi -- 17 3500 Laramie CCLB 6.7 -- 20 KW 370
33 Posts

Just because you have towed 7K doesn't make it right. I wouldn't tow that with mine.

·
Registered
129 Posts
If your towing a travel trailer go to the forum for the brand and post what your towing and with what vehicle. Most forums have people who are experts on towing. They usually provide information on what your vehicle can really tow despite what the sales literature says.

·
Registered
14 Posts

my questions:
I tow regularly with a 5.7 Hemi TH wk2. If you’re pulling 6k with a GC let me know so I can avoid the area because you’re asking for trouble towing more than 75-80% of rated capacity. it’s an accident waiting to happen. i don’t mean to be a jerk but seriously the people that say They tow 6k with the GCs are not too smart and not anyone you should take advice from. You’ve got to think about GVWR, Tongue weight etc. will it pull 6k sure. Is it SAFE? NO!

·
Registered
285 Posts
Just because you have towed 7K doesn't make it right. I wouldn't tow that with mine.
So I’m wrong and you’re right? Good thing it’s mine and I tow with it. I won’t ask to borrow yours to tow with. 🤦‍♂️

·
Registered
2021 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk Hemi -- 17 3500 Laramie CCLB 6.7 -- 20 KW 370
33 Posts
So I’m wrong and you’re right? Good thing it’s mine and I tow with it. I won’t ask to borrow yours to tow with. 🤦‍♂️
I was not offering. I don't work anything at 100% capacity, and that minimizes issues. My KW T370 was built for 33K. I never load it beyond 30K.

·
Registered
511 Posts
I tow regularly with a 5.7 Hemi TH wk2. If you’re pulling 6k with a GC let me know so I can avoid the area because you’re asking for trouble towing more than 75-80% of rated capacity. it’s an accident waiting to happen. i don’t mean to be a jerk but seriously the people that say They tow 6k with the GCs are not too smart and not anyone you should take advice from. You’ve got to think about GVWR, Tongue weight etc. will it pull 6k sure. Is it SAFE? NO!
This is exactly the point I was trying to make. Even with my Ram 1500 I don't pull over 8k, though it's "rated" for a lot more with the 3.92 axle ratio.

·
Registered
14 Posts
This is exactly the point I was trying to make. Even with my Ram 1500 I don't pull over 8k, though it's "rated" for a lot more with the 3.92 axle ratio.
Absolutely correct! The Grand Cherokee is a unibody, not body on frame. It’s a less stable towing platform. The stated tow ratings are deceptive. why? The tow rating doesn’t explain the math that goes into a safe vs unsafe load. Tongue weight that factors into a vehicles weight along with passengers gear etc…

·
Registered
511 Posts
Absolutely correct! The Grand Cherokee is a unibody, not body on frame. It’s a less stable towing platform. The stated tow ratings are deceptive. why? The tow rating doesn’t explain the math that goes into a safe vs unsafe load. Tongue weight that factors into a vehicles weight along with passengers gear etc…
Very true. The other thing that might confuse people is ratings on pulling vs towing. Sure I can pull something thats 10k with my Ram from one side of a work zone to the other side but on-road towing is a completely different aspect.

·
Registered
807 Posts
How does being a unibody vs body-on-frame make a difference? In general, longer wheelbases make for a better towing vehicle and tongue weight is usually the limiting factor for what a Jeep can tow. I've towed at 23-foot camper with a 2008 CRD and 2014 ecodiesel and found them to be better tow vehicles than our 2002 Durango that was body-on-frame with the tow package and 3.92 gear ratio. I didn't notice any additional trailer sway with the Jeeps and the extra torque at low RPMs was a big plus.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts