Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
What are you comparing it to? My overland blows plenty cold and the fan is at least as powerful as what I am coming out of (an Acura). If you drive another one, hit the max a/c button, which puts the temp all the way down, the fan on hi, and I think puts it on recirc. It does not seem weak to me but everyone is different.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I’ve tried it on five different Grand Cherokee L models, four of them being Overland and one being Summit. I’m comparing to my 2020 Jeep Grand Cherokee high altitude. Even the guy at one of the dealerships said they are known to not blow out very hard. I’m wondering if they are not prepping it correctly when they get it from the factory.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I’ve tried it on five different Grand Cherokee L models, four of them being Overland and one being Summit. I’m comparing to my 2020 Jeep Grand Cherokee high altitude. Even the guy at one of the dealerships said they are known to not blow out very hard. I’m wondering if they are not prepping it correctly when they get it from the factory.
got it and my last car was honda (acura to be exact) who has notoriously bad ACs, so maybe that’s why it seems fine to me

·
Premium Member
2017 Summit
8,869 Posts
Did you turn the blower to a higher setting?

·
Registered
'22 & '14 JGC; '09 Subaru Forester; RIP '05 Subaru Legacy STIEVO
2,287 Posts
Have you considered that it may have additional settings for the rear passengers and/or 3rd row? Maybe to better match your comparison to the 2020 WK2 you may have to turn the fans for the rear seats/passengers up or off, close rear vents etc. They probably recycled the blower design and filtration from the WK2/Durango but I think with the new air flow ducting design (aren't the vents on the pillars now?), there is actuality insufficient pressure / duct velocity (the flow in cfm being the same) to create your desired cooling sensation...

·
Registered
50 Posts
Yes I turned it all the way up to the highest setting. Test drive another one today. I think the air cabin filter may be slowing it down. It’s cooling down in Phoenix so it won’t be as much of an issue.
As an owner of both platforms that also lives in phoenix, I can say that the problem starts with the fact you’re in phoenix. The dealer cars are sitting in the sun in a parking lot all day every day. Add to that the fact that the interior of the L is much larger than the WK2, so you have more volume to cool. And then you’re likely getting in your WK2 in a garage where temp is maybe 75-95 and driving a car with AC on max for a while and acclimating to it on your drive, then immediately jumping into a vehicle that’s 140 in the interior and wondering why it’s not the same temp as what you just got out of within a few minutes.

The only knock I will say to it is that the physical vent sizes are actually smaller too, which probably moves less air.

I thought the same thing when I first bought my L. You know when I noticed the immediate difference? When the vehicle sat in my garage overnight and I drove it the next day. My wife and kid complained about being too cold in it the next day.

Long story short - you just need to give it more time to cool down, you’re cooling much more volume and it’s too hot out for that.

·
Registered
2014 Summit 5.7 4wd 20" tires swapped to 18", added all skid plates
3,088 Posts
As an owner of both platforms that also lives in phoenix, I can say that the problem starts with the fact you’re in phoenix. The dealer cars are sitting in the sun in a parking lot all day every day. Add to that the fact that the interior of the L is much larger than the WK2, so you have more volume to cool. And then you’re likely getting in your WK2 in a garage where temp is maybe 75-95 and driving a car with AC on max for a while and acclimating to it on your drive, then immediately jumping into a vehicle that’s 140 in the interior and wondering why it’s not the same temp as what you just got out of within a few minutes.

The only knock I will say to it is that the physical vent sizes are actually smaller too, which probably moves less air.

I thought the same thing when I first bought my L. You know when I noticed the immediate difference? When the vehicle sat in my garage overnight and I drove it the next day. My wife and kid complained about being too cold in it the next day.

Long story short - you just need to give it more time to cool down, you’re cooling much more volume and it’s too hot out for that.
My long term complaint about ALL cars is they make the AC system TOO SMALL. The BTU capacity is too small and the blower volume is too small. I'm in Phoenix. Don't they know it gets HOT here? Esp when the car sits outside for an hour. You have 4000+ pounds of metal, plastic, and fabric at 150 degrees and you are trying to cool it down with anemic airflow and 22,000 btu's of cooling.

·
Registered
2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Summit
341 Posts
Just joined and saw this, here is a snip of a txt I sent to the salesman as a follow up after buying mine in July about a week after picking it up. This was in Pittsburgh area heat, not Phoenix heat, so yeah, I get it.
Green Aqua Font Grass Circle

If you put everything to Max, it does work, but we'll see come summer. I haven't driven it much at all, only about 2,000 miles since July, most were on a trip to Baltimore and back.

·
Registered
472 Posts
I'm in Wyoming, and the heat sucks unless you put it on 'max defrost', in which case it's a blast furnace. But, one of my second row foot ducts (under front pass seat) was not even connected, nor was my front row center console ducting. Even with it all connected, my front center console cubby is 165 degrees with the rear heat on, the cupholders are 135 deg, and the phone charger is 117 degrees. Then there's cold air wafting around for no reason, and the dash vents don't blow at all if you have the defrost, dash and floor vents running, and half the time the air coming out of the front footwells is cold, even though you have the heat cranked and it's -15F outside.

I suspect the blend motors are bad, the door seals are bad (weird cold air wafting around, and defective doorseals are a problem on these), and the ducting isn't attached properly (in at least two places on mine, and I suspect there's more).

While my issues are heat-related (bought in December and live in Wyoming) vs AC, the problems may be the same.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yes! We have Cherokee L limited and the AC sucks!! My 2016 grand Cherokee gets much much colder than this and so does our Mazda cx9, by a mile. I think the problem is in the front vent design. Theyre so narrow!!!!!! We love the vehicle, hate the AC!!

·
Registered
2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Summit Reserve 4x4 5.7L
212 Posts
I came from a 2017 GC SRT and the A/C was ice cold. Like bone chilling cold and lots of it.

My 22 GC L SR A/C blows noticeably warmer air (on the coldest setting) and less air (on the highest fan speed). I swear they tested the A/C in the middle of winter when designing this system.

·
Administrator
11,454 Posts
If the AC doesn't seem to be keeping up, make sure it's in Recirculate mode, especially on the hotter days. When the fresh air coming in is "super heated", it can present a challenge to a vehicle's HVAC system. (This is not Jeep specific advice, either)

Reactions: Briant73

·
Registered
2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Summit Reserve 4x4 5.7L
212 Posts
Recirculate mode doesn’t help. It just doesn’t blow as cold or as much volume as either my 17 CG SRT or our 2020 Trackhawk.

·
Registered
2014 Summit 5.7 4wd 20" tires swapped to 18", added all skid plates
3,088 Posts
Recirculate mode doesn’t help. It just doesn’t blow as cold or as much volume as either my 17 CG SRT or our 2020 Trackhawk.
If I was to guess I'd guess that to provide airflow to the rear they made the front ducts small to increase the internal duct pressure up front. That forces more air to the back and while it reduces the volume of air coming out the front ducts would increase it's velocity. Crappy AC systems are a perennial problem here in AZ. Some vehicles have very good ones and other have crap. There is no reason other then piss poor designers for any of them to have crap.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I put ceramic film on all my cars, it block a lot of heat so AC doesn’t need to work that hard. Its expensive but it works.
Some of them can block up to 90% of heat.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts