Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Summit 5.7 4wd 20" tires swapped to 18", added all skid plates
3,088 Posts
As an owner of both platforms that also lives in phoenix, I can say that the problem starts with the fact you’re in phoenix. The dealer cars are sitting in the sun in a parking lot all day every day. Add to that the fact that the interior of the L is much larger than the WK2, so you have more volume to cool. And then you’re likely getting in your WK2 in a garage where temp is maybe 75-95 and driving a car with AC on max for a while and acclimating to it on your drive, then immediately jumping into a vehicle that’s 140 in the interior and wondering why it’s not the same temp as what you just got out of within a few minutes.

The only knock I will say to it is that the physical vent sizes are actually smaller too, which probably moves less air.

I thought the same thing when I first bought my L. You know when I noticed the immediate difference? When the vehicle sat in my garage overnight and I drove it the next day. My wife and kid complained about being too cold in it the next day.

Long story short - you just need to give it more time to cool down, you’re cooling much more volume and it’s too hot out for that.
My long term complaint about ALL cars is they make the AC system TOO SMALL. The BTU capacity is too small and the blower volume is too small. I'm in Phoenix. Don't they know it gets HOT here? Esp when the car sits outside for an hour. You have 4000+ pounds of metal, plastic, and fabric at 150 degrees and you are trying to cool it down with anemic airflow and 22,000 btu's of cooling.

·
Registered
2014 Summit 5.7 4wd 20" tires swapped to 18", added all skid plates
3,088 Posts
Recirculate mode doesn’t help. It just doesn’t blow as cold or as much volume as either my 17 CG SRT or our 2020 Trackhawk.
If I was to guess I'd guess that to provide airflow to the rear they made the front ducts small to increase the internal duct pressure up front. That forces more air to the back and while it reduces the volume of air coming out the front ducts would increase it's velocity. Crappy AC systems are a perennial problem here in AZ. Some vehicles have very good ones and other have crap. There is no reason other then piss poor designers for any of them to have crap.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts