Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Same here, all around the jeep, but it doesn't change the fact that the AC sucks! At least the vent design does at the minimum! And the vents in the very back don't blow out very hard. Sucks that my 2016 grand Cherokee AC system puts the L system to shame

·
Registered
401 Posts
The vents are definitely smaller on the WL than the WK2. That could be a contributing factor--less volume of air being blown. Has anyone measured the temperature of the air coming out the vents on Max A/C?

Secondly, this is a common complaint on the RAM and Wagoneer/Grand Wagoneer. I just saw something that went out to Wagoneer/Grand Wagoneer owners saying to run the rear A/C as well on especially hot days, which makes me wonder if it applies to the WL, too.

I live in SC which is very hot and humid and did not notice any cooling issues when I test drove a WL, but it was November-ish and not quite as hot as middle of summer. I'll say my wife's '19 Cherokee's A/C is not as powerful as my WK2. My WK2 is pretty well set and forget, whereas I am constantly adjusting my wife's Cherokee.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Same here, all around the jeep, but it doesn't change the fact that the AC sucks! At least the vent design does at the minimum! And the vents in the very back don't blow out very hard. Sucks that my 2016 grand Cherokee AC system puts the L system to shame
I cant agree more its sucks. Even know we have two rows WL version, its very poor design and it cant keep the temp at the same level, in our case it gets to the point when its too hot and then it turns full speed till its too cold. This is our first jeep, but we had a lot of other brands with climate controls and they were set and forget. Not this one. Dealer cant replicate the issue ((

·
Registered
501 Posts
Every car I've had for the past few decades has always been 'set and forget' with the automatic HVAC settings. My WL requires constant fidgeting, doesn't even try to reach the specified temp often times, and all the weird problems I had in the cold of WY winter are similar in the summer. It's either broken, or was designed by someone who shouldn't even be allowed to touch the thermostat in whatever office they work in. Worst, most recalcitrant, unpredictable HVAC I've ever seen.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Sarge, with all the issues you've seen in your LEMON, I'd find it hard to draw conclusions about overall WL build and reliability just yet; the line is quite fuzzy. Hopefully your buy-back is completed soon and you get the (mostly) trouble free WL you want!

For me, just 2 issues a couple months in: Frequent wireless Android Auto disconnects & flaky wireless charging. In my case, simply connecting the phone with short 6 in cord addresses both issues. I suspect the connectivity thing can be corrected via firmware; wireless charging issues, on the other hand, seem mechanical.

HVAC has been flawless. My only nitpick was excessive airflow/noise of the vent even at lowest settings. Could not seem to be able to set it low enough. In another thread, someone had mentioned clicking SYNC - this seems to lower fan speed and addresses my complaint perfectly. Yay.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Good to know re the 'sync' option. It's otherwise so LOUD it makes it hard to use the phone. Such a weird HVAC system...

For CarPlay, it doesn't matter if I use wired or wireless, it's just been a total mess the entire time I've owned it (going into 8 months, 9k miles now)

·
Registered
486 Posts
For CarPlay, it doesn't matter if I use wired or wireless,
For me, wired Android Auto is 100% solid. My wife uses wireless CarPlay. I can't say there have been any drop outs on that side, but not enough personal usage on the platform yet for me to have a valid opinion.

·
Registered
4,826 Posts
Speaking of auto AC issues with today's freon based systems.
Just think of it; no compressors, no freon, no dryer, no condenser and no evaporator coil and all the plumbing that goes with it.
Some day in the not too distant future i foresee conventional freon based AC systems will be a thing of the past .

What am i talking about?
Its solid state cooling.
Basically its thermoelectric cooling based on the Peltier effect.

Its already been and being used for small refrigerator units but not all that efficient for larger applications like home or auto use.
But progress is being made to increase the cooling efficiency of these devices.

Auto based solid state AC would probably require a clutch engaged aux. alternator to supply the necessary electrical power but only when the AC is turned on.

·
Registered
501 Posts
For me, wired Android Auto is 100% solid. My wife uses wireless CarPlay. I can't say there have been any drop outs on that side, but not enough personal usage on the platform yet for me to have a valid opinion.
My UConnect CarPlay basically plays the 'hey... do I know you from somewhere?' game. Sometimes it comes on right away (wireless), other times I'll be riding along in silence for 5-10 minutes and suddenly some random song will start blaring, other times it won't connect at all even on wired connection, and if my wife's phone is in the car too it just shits the bed and forgets everything until she gets out of the car. It's the most asinine setup I've ever seen in any car, ever.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I came from a 2017 GC SRT and the A/C was ice cold. Like bone chilling cold and lots of it.

My 22 GC L SR A/C blows noticeably warmer air (on the coldest setting) and less air (on the highest fan speed). I swear they tested the A/C in the middle of winter when designing this system.
I second this. My 2014 ecodiesel cools down much more quickly than my 2022 SR two row. It also seems the vents are further away in the WK2 as compared to the WL. I thought I was crazy, but maybe only slightly crazy if others are bringing it up. It is not bad enough it is a deal breaker though, just takes a bit longer to cool down.

I am in TX and the high has been consistently 100 or over. The diesel still outperforms in the AC area. And MPG. That's about it.

·
Registered
2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Summit
494 Posts
I have found that when I turn off the rear HVAC, the A/C works much better up front, which kind of makes sense, right?
And I have a nit pick complaint, when the rear A/C is on, it is too noisy for the front people, you have fan noise in front and behind you. Not horrible, and having everyone comfortable is well worth the additional noise level.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Test drove a 2022 Summit today, Richmond VA, about 97 degrees out. It did not cool at all on a 20 minute test drive and this is totally a deal breaker if they all perform this way. Airflow was fine, it just never blew cold air. Yes, we maxed all ac controls, recirc and sync. It was maxed out. We jumped into another one on the lot just to compare to the Overland trim and it had similar weak AC, at least idling in the lot for an extended period. My 2017 Trailhawk is ice cold and vastly superior.

·
Registered
32 Posts
The vents are definitely smaller on the WL than the WK2. That could be a contributing factor--less volume of air being blown. Has anyone measured the temperature of the air coming out the vents on Max A/C?

Secondly, this is a common complaint on the RAM and Wagoneer/Grand Wagoneer. I just saw something that went out to Wagoneer/Grand Wagoneer owners saying to run the rear A/C as well on especially hot days, which makes me wonder if it applies to the WL, too.

I live in SC which is very hot and humid and did not notice any cooling issues when I test drove a WL, but it was November-ish and not quite as hot as middle of summer. I'll say my wife's '19 Cherokee's A/C is not as powerful as my WK2. My WK2 is pretty well set and forget, whereas I am constantly adjusting my wife's Cherokee.
he has a point by measuring the temp at the vent

·
Registered
32 Posts
Sarge, with all the issues you've seen in your LEMON, I'd find it hard to draw conclusions about overall WL build and reliability just yet; the line is quite fuzzy. Hopefully, your buy-back is completed soon and you get the (mostly) trouble-free WL you want!

For me, just 2 issues a couple of months in: Frequent wireless Android Auto disconnects & flaky wireless charging. In my case, simply connecting the phone with a short 6-in cord addresses both issues. I suspect the connectivity thing can be corrected via firmware; wireless charging issues, on the other hand, seem mechanical.

HVAC has been flawless. My only nitpick was excessive airflow/noise of the vent even at the lowest settings. Could not seem to be able to set it low enough. In another thread, someone had mentioned clicking SYNC - this seems to lower fan speed and addresses my complaint perfectly. Yay.
I have the same in my GC WL it says the internet has a weak signal and Sirius drops a lot, although no issues w/Apple iPhone connection, we have had a lot of hot days in St.Louis lately and I have a White WL and it does struggle to cool down when it's 140' in there.

·
Registered
2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Summit
494 Posts
21 - 40 of 40 Posts