Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2023 Grand Cherokee Overland ,2020 Renegade
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got a 2023 GC Overland . Should there be wireless charging? Where would it be if I have it?

Buck

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If you have a hump running left to right that divides that space, then you don’t have the wireless charging option. Luxury tech package adds that.
Yep thats what i have. Still wonder if that would be easy to change out. . Thanks for the help

·
Registered
22 WL74 Overland
116 Posts
from what i was told its a easy add on. the wiring is there. just have to buy all the parts. But the factory one is junk from what im told. slow to charge and over heats. I think its around $400 to add. I bought a good wireless charging pad some wood and felt. Havent gotten around to building it yet.

·
Registered
473 Posts
To note, all wireless chargers generate heat. It's from the inefficiency of sending a current through material that doesn't want to conduct (such as air). The space between the wireless charging pad and the phone is the primary culprit. So the thicker your phone case and the like, the more heat it will have.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Thanks ,
Matt and Cunningham i will stick to the wire. you saved me some $$$
Yeah, I purposely did not get the wireless charger when I ordered my GCL. I opted to buy a wireless charger from Amazon for about $25 as I didn't want my phone to be charging every time I utilized that spot to put my phone. While the two humps are not as friendly as the pad, I do like I can put my wallet in there too, if I need to for quick access rather than in the center console.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Just a note, I find if I simply put my phone face down on the pad it doesn't charge. I believe because the phone battery is not close enough to the charging loop. Just noting that it is easy to use the space both for charging and for not charging.

·
Registered
2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Summit
683 Posts
FWIW, I use the wireless charger every time I'm in my Jeep. No heat issues at all. I have a Samsung (S22 Ultra), and I have high speed wireless charging turned OFF. Plus I have battery protect turned ON. (Won't charge past 85%) Both of which help limit charging rate and duration. Also, cases make a huge difference in heat retained. I have the S-View Flip Cover, which is thin, but does fully cover the phone.

·
Registered
473 Posts
FWIW, I use the wireless charger every time I'm in my Jeep. No heat issues at all. I have a Samsung (S22 Ultra), and I have high speed wireless charging turned OFF. Plus I have battery protect turned ON. (Won't charge past 85%) Both of which help limit charging rate and duration. Also, cases make a huge difference in heat retained. I have the S-View Flip Cover, which is thin, but does fully cover the phone.
Agreed. The thicker the case, the more distance there is from the charging pad which makes the transfer less efficient....which means more heat.....

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for all the help . I think for what it is worth I am going to stick with the wire

·
Registered
795 Posts
On mine, the space where the charger is gets so hot (135F) even with no phone laying there that it sends the phone into heat protection mode if you place it on the charger, so I can't use it anyway. And regardless, my Uconnect usually won't connect to wireless carplay, so I have to use the USB cord anyway.

·
Registered
532 Posts
I wish it had a switch for the charger, half the time I dump my keys and wallet in the bin and I’m left to stare at the blinking red light reminding me to find somewhere else to dump my crap.
when I do use it as a charger it’s fairly good (iPhone 13 pro with apple leather case) it will cut out sometimes, a quick readjust and it’s charging again. It charges 80% of the time flawlessly.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Does anyone get Fast Wireless charging (15w), e.g. with their Samsung/Android device? I'm getting "regular" (slow) Wireless charging which barely keeps the phone's battery from going down while it's also doing Android Auto and navigating.

·
Registered
2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Summit
683 Posts
Does anyone get Fast Wireless charging (15w), e.g. with their Samsung/Android device? I'm getting "regular" (slow) Wireless charging which barely keeps the phone's battery from going down while it's also doing Android Auto and navigating.
No, we both have S22 Ultras, and "normal" charging is what we see. Also, that would be unlikely anyway. Fast Wireless Charging while doing Android Auto with GPS active would cause a ton of heat.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts