Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2014 WK2
Joined
·
12 Posts
I'm always find it amazing when people in 21st century still compare Made in China = cheap product. It's not about where is made the quality come back to the selling company. No argument there cheap under pay sweat factories in China. But there also super clean room, fully automated factories in China with high paying employees that match US pay standard (Yes it a lot of money when compare to average China standard).

Here an example I work in a company that design electric product that sell worldwide. We take a product to BestBuy with a price X and a suggested MSRP, show them our QC standard on the product and pass issue/return rate. BestBuy is happy with the product and take it.

Same product take to Walmart they look at the QC standard and like it but not the price. Want a 10% off the price, sure we can do it. We will have to use a low grade plastic and internal electric, but due to low grade material we will have to lower our tolerance for the QC standard. And also lower the 3 year warranty to 1 year warranty. Guest what Walmart say ok do it.

Same product take to a Japan. They say price is good but QC is bad. We like to have tighter standard and better quality. No problem we're use higher grade material with tighter inspection. And if needed we will even move the production to another factory per your approval, but it will cost you 10% more. We even say the current standard is already a high standard for US and EU it should be good enough. Retail come back yes is good but is not good enough for our company and Japanese consumer. Our consumer view quality more then price. We can sell the product at 10% more if it meet our quality.

So I guess people should be paying more attention of who their buying stuff from, then where is the product made. How much they willing to spend is also a big factor. Its really true you get what you pay for.
 

·
Registered
2014 WK2
Joined
·
12 Posts
...
Why should goods manufactured & sold in the U.S. follow all the U.S. safety rules & regulations, but businesses who contract manufacturing outside the U.S. (namely in China) be allowed to sell products here that are not constrained to these very same U.S. regulations?

That's called an unfair competitive advantage, with the workers of the U.S. first dealing with this problem back in the 90's when NAFTA was first implemented. These days the "Giant Sucking Sound" comes from China.
Totally agreed, but on the other end of the stick. This monster was created by us and corporate greed. Regulation or not if we the consumer choice not to buy products made from a countries that does not have good safety rule & regulations these companies wouldn't even exist.

ie imagine one day we went home and ~65% of all our belonging is gone. Since the other 35% will be what we can "really" afford to buy if every items that was made according to US worker regulation standard. I not totally sure most people can live with that image these day. I sure our parent and grandparent would be fine, because that what it was back in the days. I probably can as I was in military for 8 yrs and all I have was two seabags and couple of boxes. Would I want too most likely not.
 
1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top