Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,465 Posts
Whether we like it or not, the world is shrinking, and at an ever increasing pace. The future is speeding towards us, and technology brings that future to us faster every day. The renaissance created by the industrial revolution, and the spread of this renaissance made possible by the information age (part of which is this forum) is introducing our material world to all parts of the globe, and they're liking it very much. Capitalism fuels competition, and if we're going to be winners we must compete with an ever growing list of players all around the world. Isolation is impossible. I've watched the industrial manufacturing base of my region shrink drastically over the last twenty years. My former employer bled off over ten thousand jobs during that period. But what will win is providing something that no one else can, and that could be a product, an innovation, a value added to another product, anything we can do better than the competition. The title of this thread, "Would it upset you?", is very apropos. It should upset us if we're not doing anything to win. Parts of our Jeeps will undoubtedly be manufactured in other parts of the world, because they can do it better. But I think we should all take some comfort in knowing that the folks at JNAP are selling everything they can build, adding employees, and for all intents and purposes, winning at the game of auto manufacturing. We need to put it all in perspective. But hard work and cooperation will win every time.

·
Registered
2015 MB C300 Sport
1,191 Posts
This concept of a "Global Economy" will never be fair to the workers of this country unless all the other countries involved are playing by the same rules when it comes to following U.S. regulations.

Why should goods manufactured & sold in the U.S. follow all the U.S. safety rules & regulations, but businesses who contract manufacturing outside the U.S. (namely in China) be allowed to sell products here that are not constrained to these very same U.S. regulations?

That's called an unfair competitive advantage, with the workers of the U.S. first dealing with this problem back in the 90's when NAFTA was first implemented. These days the "Giant Sucking Sound" comes from China.

·
Registered
2014 WK2
12 Posts
Why should goods manufactured & sold in the U.S. follow all the U.S. safety rules & regulations, but businesses who contract manufacturing outside the U.S. (namely in China) be allowed to sell products here that are not constrained to these very same U.S. regulations?

That's called an unfair competitive advantage, with the workers of the U.S. first dealing with this problem back in the 90's when NAFTA was first implemented. These days the "Giant Sucking Sound" comes from China.
Totally agreed, but on the other end of the stick. This monster was created by us and corporate greed. Regulation or not if we the consumer choice not to buy products made from a countries that does not have good safety rule & regulations these companies wouldn't even exist.

ie imagine one day we went home and ~65% of all our belonging is gone. Since the other 35% will be what we can "really" afford to buy if every items that was made according to US worker regulation standard. I not totally sure most people can live with that image these day. I sure our parent and grandparent would be fine, because that what it was back in the days. I probably can as I was in military for 8 yrs and all I have was two seabags and couple of boxes. Would I want too most likely not.

·
Premium Member
3,465 Posts
My post wasn't judgmental, just a look at reality. I agree that a lot of what is happening really sucks, especially for American workers. But as has been stated, there's a new world order, and the multinational corporations are at the top of the food chain. If we are to survive, we will have to adapt to the new rules. They owe allegiance to no one country, and profit is their sole reason for existence. You don't like it, and I don't like it, but we'll all have to learn to live with it. China is slowly becoming a polluted environment worse than anything we created here in the 20th century. India has a population with more educated middle class workers than the U.S. They all want our standard of living, and will do whatever is necessary to gain that. In a world of finite resources and exploding population, what do you think will be the end game? I don't think it will be pretty. So, what are the answers? It's all well above my pay grade. I certainly don't envy the younger generations, but survival is a very strong instinct.

·
Registered
100 Posts
How much will it cost for the same product to be produced in teh US with US regulations, US taxes, and US union demands? 15% more? 20% more, 35% more? Please raiase your hand if you are willing to pay 35% more for every plastic bin, trans can, gardening tool, package of underwear, mud flap, radio, TV, table lamp, etc. Every dollar spent is another dollar that cannot buy more food, saved in the bank, buy shoes for teh kids, etc. Jacko15 is absolutely right. To compete, we cannot go head on with countries tha can make low level TVs or sew underwear cheaply, but must add value or innovation to the product that less technologically advanced countrries cannot do. A Foreign Affairs magazine article recently discussed Germany's success in manufacturing--they focused on higher tecnology products that other countries cannot replicate with an uneducated workforce. Companies like Siemens and BMW and Bosch produce products that India and China can't compete with, yet.

Life is not fair. Global competition is not fair and NEVER WILL BE FAIR. We need to get over this schoolyard notion that China is not playing fair. China is experiencing their own competition from Vietnam and Pakistan. Ir ain't fair but they're not whining. They just go around and get ahead. We need to stop whinig about "fairness" and make a better product at a better price or do what they can't do.

·
Registered
2015 MB C300 Sport
1,191 Posts
Totally agreed, but on the other end of the stick. This monster was created by us and corporate greed. Regulation or not if we the consumer choice not to buy products made from a countries that does not have good safety rule & regulations these companies wouldn't even exist.
Agreed.

I just so happen to be one of those people who pay extra for something manufactured in the U.S., and will not shop at certain stores (Walmart) or buy products from "questionable" countries whenever possible.

It really sticks in my craw when American businesses sub-contract their manufacturing out to countries like China...where worker safety or fair business practices are laughed at. Just look at the money American businesses lose to counterfit goods alone...and no country comes close to China on that front.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.