Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just purchased a 2014 JGC Overland and noticed it has Michelin tires all around. My jeep has Offroad 2 pkg and is trail rated but the tires don't seem to be "trail ready"

Even stranger, there is a Kumho spare tire (probably cheaper than the Michelin) and while its still an 18 inch tire, it's a different size (60 vs 65) -- this doesn't seem right

Randy

·
Premium Member
SRT8
2,734 Posts
Just purchased a 2014 JGC Overland and noticed it has Michelin tires all around. My jeep has Offroad 2 pkg and is trail rated but the tires don't seem to be "trail ready"

Even stranger, there is a Kumho spare tire (probably cheaper than the Michelin) and while its still an 18 inch tire, it's a different size (60 vs 65) -- this doesn't seem right

Randy
It's the same size Diameter tire tho.

·
Premium Member
2017 Summit
8,884 Posts

Randy
Only some bean counter at Jeep would consider those tires on/off road ready. Michelin says they were designed for smooth, highway ride.

It seems to be a scam that Jeep has been perpetuating for some time. My complaint to Jeep went unanswered. I asked Milous if he knew someone I could contact that might actually look into it. I got no response, so I guess he doesn't know anybody willing to stand up to the head honchos. All it should take is someone to look at the Michelin website, and look at why Jeep would be using the same tires on their non trail rated vehicles, and probably even the 2 wheel drive versions.

The only trail these might be rated for is I95. :mad:

---

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
it matches the load and diameter of all
Hmm - not so sure.

The steel spare in mine had a big sticker on it - "max 120km/h".

I have now got a full size spare alloy and tyre.

·
Registered
Ram 1500
854 Posts
Hmm - not so sure.

The steel spare in mine had a big sticker on it - "max 120km/h".

I have now got a full size spare alloy and tyre.
Possibly the Austrailian versions don't get a full sized spare? The one on my wifes doesn't have a max speed anywhere.

All Grand Cherokees come with what jeep calls on/off road tires, the only difference is the off road groups come with a outlined white letter tire, which apparently makes all the difference off road.

·
Premium Member
2017 Summit
8,884 Posts
... the only difference is the off road groups come with a outlined white letter tire, which apparently makes all the difference off road.

They don't even do that anymore, not that it would help. :lol:

·
Registered
Limited 4x4
1,057 Posts
That "On/Off Road tire" option did get you white letters. Everyone know that white letters mean you can go further off road. :) I can't wait until my Michelins will be worrn out. We may have to replace them before next winter.

·
Premium Member
3,453 Posts
Picked up my '14 Overland with the off-road Latitude Tour tires on Saturday. Put LXT M/S2's on it yesterday. Sold the Latitudes this morning.

·
Premium Member
2017 Summit
8,884 Posts
That "On/Off Road tire" option did get you white letters. Everyone know that white letters mean you can go further off road. :) I can't wait until my Michelins will be worrn out. We may have to replace them before next winter.
As posted below ... no longer true.

·
Premium Member
1,544 Posts
Maybe if you had an export your tires would match since some exports came equipped with KUMHO in and H rated 18" or a V rated 20"

We all know the michelins are craps but the bean counters will argue the tires are cable of off roading and refer to one of their off road press events and show you the jeep climbing some slick rock with the same POS michelins.

And they probably have some demographic information backing up the fact that 85% of cars equipped with Quadra-Drive II owners idea of offroading is driving on a sidewalk.

I look at standard equipment tires as a place holder until you can find something better that meets your needs.

The fact is that most auto makers don't give you an alloy spare any more and if they do it is a space saver with bowed spokes to clear you brake package.

I think many have confirmed that you can get the a full size 17" or 18" wheel with the full sized tire if you take out the storage bins. I don't think they have had such luck with a full size 20"

·
Premium Member
3,453 Posts
Here's a question concerning spare tire storage area. My '14 Overland w/ORAII has 2 storage bins in the spare well, is that normal? Anyone get 4?

·
Premium Member
3,453 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So Jeep dealer says that I can take the Michelins offroad but they indicate that Jeep seems tobe favoring road noise and ride with their stock

·
Registered
Ram 1500
854 Posts
So Jeep dealer says that I can take the Michelins offroad but they indicate that Jeep seems tobe favoring road noise and ride with their stock
In another thread I read the Michelin says the warranty is void if you take them off road, I don't now if there is any truth to this but food for thought.

·
Registered
Limited 4x4
1,057 Posts
I don't get how CR rates these Latitudes so high. They also claim they are good in snow. Just looking at the tire, you can tell they aren't going to be good in the snow. It puts little faith in their 'controlled' testing.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts