Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got servicing done in mid-October at the dealership and it included coolant servicing (flush and replace). Today when I went to re-adjust my headlight I noticed the fluid was low in the reservoir and it also had this yellow sludge in it. Should the fluid levels drop this quickly and is the sludge something I should be worried about? May take it back to the dealership to address the sludge and top off fluid.

I'm reading about this being connected to gasket issues on wrangler models so I'm hoping it's not that. This is a 40K mile car.

Gas Tap Plumbing Auto part Machine

· Registered
JGC
988 Posts
Yes, you should be concerned. Take it back to the dealer. The dealer may have used the wrong coolant. For those of us with the Hemi, low coolant is one of the signs the water pump needs replacing, though, if water pump issue, you wouldn't have the sludge in the reservoir.

· Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Automotive tire Automotive lighting Hood Motor vehicle Rim

Yes, you should be concerned. Take it back to the dealer. The dealer may have used the wrong coolant. For those of us with the Hemi, low coolant is one of the signs the water pump needs replacing, though, if water pump issue, you wouldn't have the sludge in the reservoir.
I opened up the cap and took some pictures. It looks like smudges on the walls (smear?) and not necessarily within the fluid. I didn’t stick anything in to see if it would come up but will in the morning.

What other signs of a water heater going bad is there? There are no signs of leakage anywhere near the base of the radiator or around it.

Attachments

· Registered
JGC
988 Posts
On mine the coolant reservoir level was dropping and the water pump was leaking. From the open radiator cap, it doesn't look like you have the "sludge" issue from wrong coolant as it would be evident in your radiator. Never seen your issue just in the reservoir. If you've only driven it a very limited amount of miles, maybe someone topped off the reservoir with the wrong coolant and it hasn't been cycled into the radiator yet? Either clean out the reservoir or have the dealer do it for you and fill with proper coolant and see what happens.

· Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I took the car to the dealership and they said the master tech had a look at it, checked all hoses/connectors for leaks, and determined that everything was up to spec as far as the coolant is concerned. I didn’t speak to that master tech but that is what the service rep told me. I’ve noted the issue with them and will continue to keep and eye out for the levels. Might even take it to an indie shop for a second opinion. Thanks for the input everyone.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts