Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
cattle
1,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Motor Mag just reported on a test of a newly proposed ATF for the ZF 8-speed. They ran a 62,000 mile real world test half of which included towing a large trailer. All the details in the article. It's a report on the benefits of the new fluid so the company wants to mainly report things that make the new fluid look better.

Main takeaways I saw.. New fluid slightly better than current ZF fluid - the old fluid lost a bit more "shift quality" than the new fluid.

Reading between the lines neither the current nor the new fluid showed any meaningful deterioration based on fluid particle/chemistry analysis. It did seem like, from what they didn't say, that there was slightly more gear microwear with the old (current) fluid.

The thing I didn't like about the test was that it was mostly highway miles, which means not a lot of shifting was going on, esp lower gear shifting. And like all these kinds of short time high mileage tests everything is always "warmed up" and there is very little "idling at stop light" time.

Still, the loading was pretty severe, much more than most of us will ever do, so ATF temps were probably always at the higher end. For 90% of us I'd say it provides pretty good confidence that it's not a problem to go to 100K before even thinking about a change of ATF.

Full article at http://newsletter.motor.com/2019/20190910/!ID_SeekingTransmissionFluidExcellence.html

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Still, the loading was pretty severe, much more than most of us will ever do, so ATF temps were probably always at the higher end. For 90% of us I'd say it provides pretty good confidence that it's not a problem to go to 100K before even thinking about a change of ATF.

Full article at http://newsletter.motor.com/2019/20190910/!ID_SeekingTransmissionFluidExcellence.html
Just confirms that unless you are delivering RV's with it, its best just to leave that tranny alone till well up in the 100K + range. Life time IS life time for 90% of the people that own a true ZF trans....

·
Registered
67 Posts
Don’t confuse this ZF with the questionable 850RE trans that’s in the V6 GC’s.
https://www.allpar.com/mopar/transmissions/ZF8.html

I skimmed through the link and didn't see anything negative. The v6 8spd is on millions of cars trucks and suvs produced, and from all accounts is just as reliable as the v8 8spd. Please explain.

It is well known that in the old WK / charger / 300 and earlier the W5A580 (old mercedes tranny) was much more reliable than the 545re that was going into the V8s. That was just a scaled up 4 spd chrysler product with a 2nd overdrive from the 'glass transmission' era of chrysler products.

·
Registered
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
262 Posts
RE revisions to the ZF HP trans are things FCA has done to make it suit whatever platform they have. All V6 FCA vehicles have them (845/850RE) and I’m not sure if you could consider them performance based. Acceptable yes but there leaves a lot to be desired and this includes the Wrangler.
There is no RE variant of the HP70 which is found in SRTs, Bmws, Alpinas, older Aston Martins, JGC Hemis, the list goes on. FCA has this in all their R/T, V8, and SRT lineups across the brand as well. Bottom line, not saying the RE versions are bad but I would rather have the “real deal” given all the other platforms it’s been in around the world. The ZF HP trans is renowned for being better than some dual clutch transmissions not the RE version.

·
Registered
67 Posts
RE revisions to the ZF HP trans are things FCA has done to make it suit whatever platform they have. All V6 FCA vehicles have them (845/850RE) and I’m not sure if you could consider them performance based. Acceptable yes but there leaves a lot to be desired and this includes the Wrangler.
There is no RE variant of the HP70 which is found in SRTs, Bmws, Alpinas, older Aston Martins, JGC Hemis, the list goes on. FCA has this in all their R/T, V8, and SRT lineups across the brand as well. Bottom line, not saying the RE versions are bad but I would rather have the “real deal” given all the other platforms it’s been in around the world. The ZF HP trans is renowned for being better than some dual clutch transmissions not the RE version.
Good to know thanks!

·
Registered
2015 WK2 Overland
1,182 Posts
Good to know thanks!
My understanding though, the light duty ZF trans would not handle the towing capacity that they desired from the Grand Cherokee/Durango. Which is the reason they went in house to develop their own variant. I'm perfectly content with mine.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts