Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks,
My 98 limited infinity sound speakers are dry.
Looked for replacement set at crunch field, and especially on the infinity reference line.
Any suggestion?
Should I also replace the two dash twitters?

Best,
Aifer

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
I did a full-on replacement when I had my niner. it's really not that difficult to swap out the speakers, add a new amp, and a new head unit. just need a wiring diagram from the shop manual to know what speaker wires to jump off.

I had found a 1.5 din radio head unit (very rare, and today, probably hopelessly outdated). also, crutchfield sells a neat little unit that wires into the factory harness so you don't lose your steering wheel controls.

As fo the dash twitters, I replaced them too, but man they are a pain. For the amount of imaging they give you, you're better off just getting better, full range door speakers.

I also ended up running an infinity free-standing sub woofer, put it in the rear. Still have it if you're interested.

Any specific advice I give you though will be hopelessly outdated -- I can tell you the process that I went through was to call cruthfield, walk through all the options, figure out what sizes everything was, and then see if I could do any better elsewhere.

PM me if you have specific questions.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Many thanks.
I ordered from crunchfield 4 speakers.
Got your advice on the twiters.
Keeping the original amp.
Already have a new 1 din head unit with Bluetooth hands free .

Will update

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
amp in that truck is terrible. Was decent for a stock amp in '98 I guess, but you're almost better off with a stock head unit than that thing.
Super easy to swap--- if you already have a new hu and are getting new speakers, just swap the amp too. if you don't want to run preamp cables from the hu to the amp (which you should), you can still use the line-level inputs on most amps.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts