Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

181 - 188 of 188 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello everyone,
I came across this forum because I’m have the same problem with my 2014 GC. I need some help because it’s driving me crazy.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Dear fellow Jeep owners,

I live in the Netherlands and have experienced exactly the same with my 2014 Grand Cherokee Summit. Last week, one morning the driver side headrest was broken. I am not sure whether JeepCares also helps non-US Jeep owners, but for the time being I decided to 'repair' it myself using the method as described by Burner2b on page 7 of this discussion, .i.e. using a tie-rap to get the headrest in the original position again. That worked. Two remarks:
1. I didn't have to remove the backside of the seat. If you pull the hard plastic part at the back of the headrest (first at the bottom until you hear a click, then at the top so it disengages from the metal tube) you have enough space to install a tie-rap as shown in the picture by Burner2b.

2. As explained in many posts already, there is a metal pin that originally is held in place in the plastic structure in the front part of the headrest (the soft part). The plastic broke so the springs push the front part of the headrest forward. But the metal pin was still held in place by the 'jaws' that are supposed to be operated by the solenoid in case of an accident. This is in the back part of the headrest. I forgot to make a picture of this, but once you see it yourself you know what I mean. I removed the metal pin to make it easier to push the headrest back against the force of the springs into it's (more or less) original position. Removing the pin was easy, you can just slide it sideways out of the 'jaws'.
Of course, as also mentioned before, this means the headrest isn't 'active' anymore. Even though it hasn't been broken yet, I also decided to fasten the passenger headrest aswell. This to avoid the situation that it explodes while my wife is sitting in the passenger seat. I seriously think these things are now more dangerous in their original configuration than when fixed (with a tie-rap) after being broken.

On another note (maybe you already have seen this): I read at another website about car problems, that the NHTSA has started an investigation into this issue for the 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee and Dodge Durango. This to determine whether these vehicles should be recalled. It was a fairly recent article from 30 september 2019. N
ot sure if I am allowed to share the link, but if you google "jeep grand cherokee headrest investigation" you'll find it.

It also said: "
Although the headrest investigation includes only 2014 Durangos and Grand Cherokees, NHTSA is aware of identical complaints about additional Grand Cherokee and Durango model years and other FCA models. Those similar reports will be evaluated during this investigation."

So maybe good to follow this process and see whether a recall will happen. And then hopefully this also counts for the non-US Jeep owners.....

Regards, Bert

·
Premium Member
GC Limited
738 Posts
NHTSA request for information letter.
While the investigation is initially focused on the CONUS, the failures have been seen worldwide so I'd expect the number documented uncommanded deployments to be greater than 439.

I'd be very surprised if there was not a recall issued in the next 12-24 months following the investigations.
I just hope mine don't deploy before then.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Add another one to the list. My 2015 Jeep Patriot Driver side headrest deployed and shot plastic all over the place. Luckily now one was hurt.

·
Registered
Grand Cherokee
2,822 Posts
This is the Jeep Grand Cherokee site, you might want to also post on the Jeep Patriot part of this website.

Everyone should be filing safety complaints with the NTHSB, this is a piece of safety equipment and almost all the failure appear to be a defect in the design, because they all fail the same way at the same point and they seem to fail far to often to be normal wear and tear.....

Once the NTHSB gets enough complaints, it will start an investigation, and if they find the complaints are warranted they may insist FCA do a recall of the part and replace it.....

One other option to consider, I can't recommend disabling a piece of safety equipment, if you do so, you do it at your own risk....
But, several pages back someone showed how he ziptied the AHR back in place, which of course disables it...
I also posted a video about designing AHR and one of the designers stating they are for the 80% of the driving public that fail to adjust their headrest and seat properly and sit in a proper position while moving in the car.....
Which if you ever what a video of crash tests of an AHR it will become very apparent if you adjust your seat and head rest properly and sit in a proper position while the car is moving you don't need an AHR....

Please educate yourself on how to adjust your seat and headrest properly and how to sit properly in a seat while the vehicle is moving. I can't tell you the number of people that insist they know, yet are completely and utterly ignorant on it, its quite sad and pitiful actually....

181 - 188 of 188 Posts