Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

221 - 229 of 229 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Same problem with my 2015 Jeep GC. When the AHR is replaced,,,,,Is it upgraded or do they use the same faulty plastic parts???
Great question that I regretfully don't have an answer for yet. My part has not arrived, but I will have the replacement in the next couple of days. Regretfully, I fear that it will simply be the same part manufactured more recently.

Since the NHTSA investigation is still open, FCA has not acknowledged a problem with the AHR. My hope is that a newer part will provide me with added time until either the NHTSA investigation forces FCA to Redesign and Recall or one of the Class Action Lawsuits forces FCA to take responsibility.
I just received the new AHR and it appears to be the same part number/design as the previous one which failed due to plastic fatigue. Simply have to swap out tomorrow and should be good to go until the replacement AHR fails in a few years. Hopefully the NHTSA investigation or one of the class actions leads to a recall by FCA in the near future.

·
Registered
2015 Jeep GC
2 Posts
Second Post.. Re: My Jeep GC AHR... 2015 With 50,000 Miles..
On 8/28/20 I found the AHR on the passenger side broken open. FCA calls this "Headrest Restraint Deployment" I call it bad design and cheap plastic!!!
9/2/20 Brought the Jeep to my Dealer in NC...Told them this was a safety issue. They agreed...Said my Jeep was out of warranty and the fix would be about $650.00. I complained, and they agreed to waive the labor cost. So now it would cost me $445.00....I did not agree. So they gave me the FCA phone number (800 334 9200) This was answered by very nice people in South Fl..They gave me a case # and said to expect a call and visit from one of their agents in four days. I waited until 9/9/20 and called back. I was given another phone # (877 426 5337) This person said I was in the system and will be called in a day or two...Hard to believe, but I got a call the next day...From FCA in Michigan. They said they are authorizing my dealer to fix the problem under "Warranty" ( I have no warranty.)
9/18/20 Replacement completed by my dealer!! No Cost! The installer told me the part was new, but was the same as the old one....I am happy for the repair,etc....but have questions: Why has this part not been redesigned??? Why is there no recall? (We all know the answer. $$$$$$$$) Also,,,why are there not more success stories on this forum?

·
Registered
9 Posts
On 8/28/20 I found the AHR on the passenger side broken open. FCA calls this "Headrest Restraint Deployment" I call it bad design and cheap plastic!!!
9/2/20 Brought the Jeep to my Dealer in NC...Told them this was a safety issue. They agreed...Said my Jeep was out of warranty and the fix would be about $650.00. I complained, and they agreed to waive the labor cost. So now it would cost me $445.00....I did not agree. So they gave me the FCA phone number (800 334 9200) This was answered by very nice people in South Fl..They gave me a case # and said to expect a call and visit from one of their agents in four days. I waited until 9/9/20 and called back. I was given another phone # (877 426 5337) This person said I was in the system and will be called in a day or two...Hard to believe, but I got a call the next day...From FCA in Michigan. They said they are authorizing my dealer to fix the problem under "Warranty" ( I have no warranty.)
9/18/20 Replacement completed by my dealer!! No Cost! The installer told me the part was new, but was the same as the old one....I am happy for the repair,etc....but have questions: Why has this part not been redesigned??? Why is there no recall? (We all know the answer. $$$$$$$$) Also,,,why are there not more success stories on this forum?
Your persistence, and in my opinion success story as well as phone number helps others. To wrap up my experience, the headrest replacement took 45 minutes which included finding the tools, disconnecting the negative battery terminal and swapping out the AHR. The reason for FCA not taking action sooner is obviously about an actuary in a room and crunching the numbers. I hope that your experience is the writing on the wall that FCA will take responsibility for this moving forward in the form of a recall.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just purchased my 2014 GC yesterday. I was in the car today cleaning and wiping down the seats and I heard a loud pop almost made me jump out the car. I look up and it looks like my passenger head rest just exploded ...So after hours of research, this is the most helpful thing I have found. I will try these numbers in the morning Thanks

·
Registered
9 Posts
I just got notification in the mail from FCA US LLC Customer Service about the AHR warranty period being extended to 10 Years / Unlimited Miles for certain 2014 - 2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee. In the even of a past, current or future issue with the AHR inadvertent deployment which can't be reset due to internal damage contact your dealer for repairs. If you have already experienced this problem and previously paid for a repair, you may be eligible to receive reimbursement by submitting a claim at Contact Us - Reimbursement Form and follow directions. If you have questions or need assistance please call FCA US LLC Customer Care at 1-877-426-5337 for assistance.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My driver's side headrest inappropriately deployed over the weekend (I was in the driver's seat and it hit my head and neck, but thankfully I was stationary having just parked). I found this page and was very pleased to see the Service Bulletin 23-018-20 REV. C (https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2020/MC-10180277-9999.pdf) and that people in the US had received notification that this will be covered. While the bulletin states it's applicable to 'vehicles within the following markets/countries: North America, APAC, EMEA and LATAM', Jeep Australia weren't aware of it nor was the dealership where I need to have it reviewed. I've reached out to Jeep on Facebook and await a reply. Surely we should be provided the same warranty extension and coverage? Anyone else had this issue resolved?

Edited to add: car is a 2014 MY15 Jeep Grand Cherokee WK, so meets criteria as per the bulletin.

·
Registered
Black Summit
3,835 Posts
Hey all, I know they issued a 10 year warranty extension on these head restraints failing but did we ever determine if Lifetime Maxcare would cover this when it fails outside the 10 year window?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Good news from my side. The broken head rest (AHR) was replaced by the dealer yesterday!. Here is some relevant timeline of events:
1. Head rest (driver's side) popped out while parked during first week of Nov. '20.
2. Took the vehicle to the dealer on November 14th. They advised to fix this at my expense.
3. Came home and posted in this website, jeep garage.org. @JeepCares contacted me and asked for vehicle/incident details. Fiat Chrysler Automobiles (FCA) contacted the dealer and provided some instructions
4. Went to local dealer on four days in December for various issues with my Jeep. On Dec 30th, dealer advised to come back after 5 months to talk about this AHR as there are many recalls for this issue.
5. Fortunately, I got a call from the dealer on January 6th, 2021 saying that the replacement head rest has arrived. I went in with my good old Jeep Liberty to get the driver side AHR replaced. The total invoice price was $690 and this price is covered under an "extended warranty".

Hope the above information helps. Please use it for reference only. Thanks to Jeepgarge.org and @JeepCares. Without your help, my Jeep would be running with a broken headrest!

221 - 229 of 229 Posts