Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk 5.7L Hemi
199 Posts
So I think I have it, but minor version. Which is why I'm wondering what it sounds like. Only happens when I'm going slow through a parking lot, or pulling out of a stop sign, etc. Does that sound right?

·
Registered
Grand Cherokee
4,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Ok, so long as I only do one bracket at a time, I don’t have to worry about breaking anything? Just want to make sure haha. Thank you for the response by the way.
Well, anytime you're pulling undercarriage bolts you're in risk of snapping them off because they corrode and seize. But mine came out without breaking, the big bolt will take quite a bit of effort. Really nothing to worry about.

Does anyone have an updated video/audio of the symptoms here to share? The OP video no longer works. TYIA
The video was from someone else on youtube, I linked it to my original post because it perfectly recreated the creek noise and explained the cause....

The subframe has huge rubber bushings in it, that 4 bolts go through to the body. So this allows a little bit of motion between the subframe and body. The 2 rear bolts have the braces on them, presumably to support the long rear bolts on the opposite end where it bolts in. The area is tight and just a little bending, denting and the brace with touch the subframe. When that happens, as the subframe moves a little in relation to the body, it rubs against the brace and makes a creaking noise.

At first you assume it has to be brakes or suspension, cause the creek occurs when you hit the brakes at low speed or as the nose of the vehicle goes up and down.... ....But not always when the nose goes up and down, you can drive over a speed bump and it won't creek, you can slam on the brakes at high speed and can't hear it, either it doesn't creek or the creek is drowned out by road noise.

I was able to figure it out, that its when the weight shifts at low speeds, accelerate or deccelerate, even a tiny amount, but at low speed that will shift the weight fore-aft and the creek noise is made.

I’ll get one for you later, I’m gonna attempt to bang mine back into normal position with a hammer. It’s like an old creaky floorboard when braking at low speed or taking turns slowly.
I tried that, it didn't work, but mostly because it wasn't until I changed the braces did I actual see/realize what was making contact and causing the creek.

The sub-frame has big metal tabs sticking out of the back of it that don't seem to have any apparent purpose, I suspect its for assembly, probably where its lifted into the body.
The brace only clears that tab by a fraction of an inch.

Only after I pulled my own braces did I notice they were bowed and did not lay flat on the ground, the brace was touching that tab sticking out of the back of the sub-frame. When I installed my new braces that do lay flat on the ground, they don't touch that tab sticking out of the back of the sub-frame.

So if you mangle the front of the brace it may touch the sub-frame and cause a creek, but a jackstand can also put pressure on the brace and bend/bow it upward in the center. And that causes it to touch and rub on that tab sticking out the back of the sub-frame.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Well, anytime you're pulling undercarriage bolts you're in risk of snapping them off because they corrode and seize. But mine came out without breaking, the big bolt will take quite a bit of effort. Really nothing to worry about.

The video was from someone else on youtube, I linked it to my original post because it perfectly recreated the creek noise and explained the cause....

The subframe has huge rubber bushings in it, that 4 bolts go through to the body. So this allows a little bit of motion between the subframe and body. The 2 rear bolts have the braces on them, presumably to support the long rear bolts on the opposite end where it bolts in. The area is tight and just a little bending, denting and the brace with touch the subframe. When that happens, as the subframe moves a little in relation to the body, it rubs against the brace and makes a creaking noise.

At first you assume it has to be brakes or suspension, cause the creek occurs when you hit the brakes at low speed or as the nose of the vehicle goes up and down.... ....But not always when the nose goes up and down, you can drive over a speed bump and it won't creek, you can slam on the brakes at high speed and can't hear it, either it doesn't creek or the creek is drowned out by road noise.

I was able to figure it out, that its when the weight shifts at low speeds, accelerate or deccelerate, even a tiny amount, but at low speed that will shift the weight fore-aft and the creek noise is made.

I tried that, it didn't work, but mostly because it wasn't until I changed the braces did I actual see/realize what was making contact and causing the creek.

The sub-frame has big metal tabs sticking out of the back of it that don't seem to have any apparent purpose, I suspect its for assembly, probably where its lifted into the body.
The brace only clears that tab by a fraction of an inch.

Only after I pulled my own braces did I notice they were bowed and did not lay flat on the ground, the brace was touching that tab sticking out of the back of the sub-frame. When I installed my new braces that do lay flat on the ground, they don't touch that tab sticking out of the back of the sub-frame.

So if you mangle the front of the brace it may touch the sub-frame and cause a creek, but a jackstand can also put pressure on the brace and bend/bow it upward in the center. And that causes it to touch and rub on that tab sticking out the back of the sub-frame.
I know the exact part you’re talking about, and that is exactly where it is rubbing haha. It was definitely from my jack. Car has less than a thousand miles on it, and it was 100% my fault. Good thing the bracket is only like 30$.

·
Registered
21 Posts
So I think I have it, but minor version. Which is why I'm wondering what it sounds like. Only happens when I'm going slow through a parking lot, or pulling out of a stop sign, etc. Does that sound right?
yeah that’s the only time it happens to me, at low speed. I took a video for you, but how do I even post a video in here? I can’t figure it out

·
Registered
21 Posts
yeah that’s the only time it happens to me, at low speed. I took a video for you, but how do I even post a video in here? I can’t figure it out
iCloud

can you see this video?

·
Registered
199 Posts
Yep! Able to see video and hear the noise. Thank you so much!!

If that's a 10/10, mine is like 2 or 3/10. Are these only on the front or on all 4 corners because it's been seemingly impossible for me to isolate the noise (feel like it's on one corner then hear it on another corner and feel like I'm going mad).

·
Registered
21 Posts
Yep! Able to see video and hear the noise. Thank you so much!!

If that's a 10/10, mine is like 2 or 3/10. Are these only on the front or on all 4 corners because it's been seemingly impossible for me to isolate the noise (feel like it's on one corner then hear it on another corner and feel like I'm going mad).
There’s brackets in the back, but not in a place where’d you jack it up. As far as I know this should really only happen in the front

·
Registered
Grand Cherokee
4,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
A couple of points I forgot.....
Soaking Undercarraige bolts with WD-40 or any penetrating oil everyday for several days before you remove them goes a long a way in allowing bolts to break free easier if they have corroded from road chemicals and water.

There is also speculation that the bolt hole traps water and gets in the threads, causing it to corrode and the corrosion can cause the noise as well as the bracket being bent up. Other accounts, and mine as well, when I first pulled that large bolt that goes through the rear poins of the sub-frame a good cup of water drained out of the bolt hole and the bolt threads were very rusty. So your brackets could not be bent at all and its simple corrosion on the bolt causing the noise.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Soaking Undercarraige bolts with WD-40 or any penetrating oil everyday for several days before you remove them goes a long a way in allowing bolts to break free easier if they have corroded from road chemicals and water.

There is also speculation that the bolt hole traps water and gets in the threads, causing it to corrode and the corrosion can cause the noise as well as the bracket being bent up. Other accounts, and mine as well, when I first pulled that large bolt that goes through the rear poins of the sub-frame a good cup of water drained out of the bolt hole and the bolt threads were very rusty. So your brackets could not be bent at all and its simple corrosion on the bolt causing the noise.
Did your car make a splish/splash noise like water was trapped in the frame somewhere when you are parked and just rocking the body?

·
Registered
21 Posts

That is a good point, and I’ve also read similar stories of that bolt creaking. In my case, it’s brand new (less than 1000 miles) haha. So it was easy for me to identify.

·
Registered
Grand Cherokee
4,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Did your car make a splish/splash noise like water was trapped in the frame somewhere when you are parked and just rocking the body?
No splish/splash sound, water was never trapped in the frame at least how you seem to be thinking about it. Water was trapped in the bolt hole above the bolt, the bolt goes in from the bottom. SO the threads on the bolt corroded, I'm guessing the corrosion creates a little more room between threads and that lets its move a bit with forces, helping create the creek....

But the real problem, and the creek never stopped until I swapped out the bent up brackets that were touching the subframe itself, as the subframe shifts a bit with forces, it will rub against the bent up brace, touching it from being bent up... ...that creates the creek, two pieces of metal rubbing against each other....

·
Registered
2 Posts
No splish/splash sound, water was never trapped in the frame at least how you seem to be thinking about it. Water was trapped in the bolt hole above the bolt, the bolt goes in from the bottom. SO the threads on the bolt corroded, I'm guessing the corrosion creates a little more room between threads and that lets its move a bit with forces, helping create the creek....

But the real problem, and the creek never stopped until I swapped out the bent up brackets that were touching the subframe itself, as the subframe shifts a bit with forces, it will rub against the bent up brace, touching it from being bent up... ...that creates the creek, two pieces of metal rubbing against each other....
Hey the other video that showed an example of the sound has been removed. I am currently having a sqeak come from the front ride side of my vehicle. I'm thinking this is the issue because it started to occur after getting a tire rotation and oil change at the dealership.

Short video of the squeak in experiencing

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hey the other video that showed an example of the sound has been removed. I am currently having a sqeak come from the front ride side of my vehicle. I'm thinking this is the issue because it started to occur after getting a tire rotation and oil change at the dealership.

Short video of the squeak in experiencing
That is not the same creak that comes from the bent brackets, that sounds like something else. The bent brackets create a very distinct, loud creaking.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts