Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
81 - 87 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
According to carcomplaints.com & carproblemzoo.com and many online searches or forums relating to the failure of the Oil Filter Assembly (OFA), Jeep has discontinued the manufacturing of the Oil Filter Assembly (OFA) and may be opting for a redesign. What does this mean? It means that at some point within your Dodge or Jeep's history, the current 3.2L/3.6L OFA is going to fail and you're going to be left with oil spewing out the back of your engine, down onto your transmission and onto your exhaust system.

Some have said that this "could" catch fire as an end result. But let's clear the air. According to our Diesel expect, the only way oil can catch fire is if it under extreme pressure & heat. as this would not be the case under the jeep while driving etc. The worse that can happen is the exhaust will smoke.
View attachment 231805
This part as well as other oil filter adapter/assembly parts are being discontinued, it's our belief that jeep may be redesigning this cooler assembly.

According to another post on the forum, this person is claiming that the oil is bypassing the oil filter entirely. our issues is not related to the oil filter but the oil cooler. So our oil is passing through the filter, but is not passing through the oil cooler. But without removing the intake manifold, The dealership can not verify what or how the oil is leaking other than seeing other jeeps with this same issue. According to jeep, this is not a dangerous or hazardous enough issue to warrant a recall.

You will need to take precautions to routinely degrease and wash this oil back flow off these components and maintain your oil level because there's no replacement on the market. Jeep themselves has known of this issue since 2014 and has not issued any recalls.

View attachment 231686
Oil Filter Assembly (OFA)

So if you start seeing an oil leak like this on the engine/transmission, One might think it's the rear main seal. Have your jeep diagnosed as to verify if it's your OFA and not the rear main seal. As of one week ago, Our 2017 jeep Wrangler with 72K miles was diagnosed with a failing OFA without any ETA on when the replacement part will arrive. This failing part effects ALL Dodge & Jeep Models with either the 3.2L or the 3.6L Pentastar Engines.

View attachment 231687
Oil leak that looks like a rear main seal failure

I've been doing some cross-referencing of this part on several retailer's parts sites. None of these sites are listing this oil filter assembly or list the assembly as being on back order. The only sites that list this part as being available is eBay & Amazon. We're hoping to hold on any panic buying in order to have the dealership install this part as they will offer a lifetime warranty. Otherwise you can take your chances with using aftermarket parts or buying from sites like Amazon or eBay.

I've also contacted Jeepcares in another forum as well as on twitter and within their Jeepcares web site to see what can be done about this issue. if you're jeep is going through this same issue, then you need to either post you failure date on carcompleints.com or other sites and let others know this is unacceptable. We need this part redesigned and soon.

If your Dodge, Jeep or any other vehicle with the 3.2L or 3.6L engine has this leaking Oil filter assembly, send a contact to @JeepCares here:

Email Jeep
https://twitter.com/JeepCares
According to carcomplaints.com & carproblemzoo.com and many online searches or forums relating to the failure of the Oil Filter Assembly (OFA), Jeep has discontinued the manufacturing of the Oil Filter Assembly (OFA) and may be opting for a redesign. What does this mean? It means that at some point within your Dodge or Jeep's history, the current 3.2L/3.6L OFA is going to fail and you're going to be left with oil spewing out the back of your engine, down onto your transmission and onto your exhaust system.

Some have said that this "could" catch fire as an end result. But let's clear the air. According to our Diesel expect, the only way oil can catch fire is if it under extreme pressure & heat. as this would not be the case under the jeep while driving etc. The worse that can happen is the exhaust will smoke.
View attachment 231805
This part as well as other oil filter adapter/assembly parts are being discontinued, it's our belief that jeep may be redesigning this cooler assembly.

According to another post on the forum, this person is claiming that the oil is bypassing the oil filter entirely. our issues is not related to the oil filter but the oil cooler. So our oil is passing through the filter, but is not passing through the oil cooler. But without removing the intake manifold, The dealership can not verify what or how the oil is leaking other than seeing other jeeps with this same issue. According to jeep, this is not a dangerous or hazardous enough issue to warrant a recall.

You will need to take precautions to routinely degrease and wash this oil back flow off these components and maintain your oil level because there's no replacement on the market. Jeep themselves has known of this issue since 2014 and has not issued any recalls.

View attachment 231686

So if you start seeing an oil leak like this on the engine/transmission, One might think it's the rear main seal. Have your jeep diagnosed as to verify if it's your OFA and not the rear main seal. As of one week ago, Our 2017 jeep Wrangler with 72K miles was diagnosed with a failing OFA without any ETA on when the replacement part will arrive. This failing part effects ALL Dodge & Jeep Models with either the 3.2L or the 3.6L Pentastar Engines.

View attachment 231687

I've been doing some cross-referencing of this part on several retailer's parts sites. None of these sites are listing this oil filter assembly or list the assembly as being on back order. The only sites that list this part as being available is eBay & Amazon. We're hoping to hold on any panic buying in order to have the dealership install this part as they will offer a lifetime warranty. Otherwise you can take your chances with using aftermarket parts or buying from sites like Amazon or eBay.

I've also contacted Jeepcares in another forum as well as on twitter and within their Jeepcares web site to see what can be done about this issue. if you're jeep is going through this same issue, then you need to either post you failure date on carcompleints.com or other sites and let others know this is unacceptable. We need this part redesigned and soon.

If your Dodge, Jeep or any other vehicle with the 3.2L or 3.6L engine has this leaking Oil filter assembly, send a contact to @JeepCares here:

Email Jeep

View attachment 231805

View attachment 231686

View attachment 231687

Email Jeep

View attachment 231805

View attachment 231686

View attachment 231687

Email Jeep
Hey everyone,

I am now experiencing this from my 2017 Jeep Wrangler with 60k miles. The replacement parts were very difficult to find, as most were backordered. My technician told me he has performed this on a variety of vehicles with Chrysler engines over the last couple months, and claims a very poorly designed product. Mopar Direct provided information that Chrysler is preventing dealers/suppliers from purchasing these parts for specific situations that are making it tough for everyone to get.

With that said, has anyone had any success with emailing Jeep or messaging Jeep Cares on Twitter? I've contacted both, and their responses are consistent suggesting parts and repair won't be covered. With this issue being more widespread, there has to be a case for litigation as this seems to be very negligent on Chrysler's behalf and those that still adopt their engine. The proposed costs are consistent with those mentioned below

·
Registered
5 Posts
There are actually two separate problems here. The cracked plastic housing can occur if the filter cap is torqued too tight. It really doesn't need more than a partial turn (just 10-20 degrees or so) after hand tightening. The o-ring seals in the oil. I know there are those out there who would disagree, but I have two 10-year old vehicles with 250,000+ miles on them. I've personally have done the oil and filter changes since they were new, and never experienced a cracked housing.

However, a second issue exists and is easy to miss. There is a little plastic piece and spring called the pressure relief valve or sometimes oil bypass valve. It's located on the oil filter housing and cooler assembly located on the top-side of the engine and goes into the center of the oil filter when installed (part of the housing). It's possible for the plastic piece to break causing the spring to launch it out of the car, perhaps while your back is turned. When missing, the system allows circulating oil to bypass the filter and return into the engine unfiltered thus completely negating the purpose of the filter. Supposedly, this is done to protect the engine from a clogged oil filter. Of my two cars, when I learned of this issue, I discovered 1 had the plastic piece missing.

Auto part Font Jewellery Technology Body jewelry

·
Registered
103 Posts
This is related to the fine print on the Chrysler (FCA) Max Care Lifetime Warranty.
says “design defects” and “wear and tear” not covered on warranty of listed items.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello everyone, it looks like I might be having the same problem. There's a very very small amount of oil near the housing but not on the housing and underneath the vehicle on the passengers side. Is one of the symptoms of this a burning smell only when you roll down the windows? I can't seem to figure out why I'm having this smell. The oil leakage doesn't seem to be dramatic enough to cause this but I'm not a professional. Thank you so much for any help.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I work at a mechanic shop and we see these leaking externally ALL THE TIME! However about a month and a half ago we got a 2016 grand Cherokee 75th edition with the 3.6l engine in and it had been leaking INTERNALLY! Needless to say every single hose dealing with the coolant system had to be replaced due to them turning into moosh from the oil being in them. This is a TERRIBLE design so for those of you that have one of these engines beware because they don't always show their ugly faces and leak on the outside and show you that there is a problem. This costed our customer well over $3000!

·
Registered
2020 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit 3.6L 4x2
2,252 Posts
The good news is that it would show up in the coolant overflow tank.

·
Administrator
165 Posts
Bumping this thread to make sure everyone knows there is a Dorman aluminum housing now available.
Dorman 3.6 Pentastar Upgraded Aluminum Engine Oil Filter Housing- 926-876

Here's my post from one of our sister forums:

I've had a slight leak in my oil cooler housing but was holding off for the new Dorman metal housing. Got an email from Rock Auto last week that the part was in stock so I ordered one along with a new Mopar assembly so all the parts would be new.
I used the Mopar oil cap/filter, cooler (and screws) and sensors. The Dorman unit came with new gaskets and mounting screws.

I'll do my best to follow up as I put some miles on the unit. I suspect the real test will be if we have an unusually cold winter, which killed the coolers this year on our '14 and '18.

81 - 87 of 87 Posts