Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
I went back in and looked at the plans and I doubt anything over two gig is free. It’s my thought that this is a marketing scheme by T-Mobile, Sprint and Uconnect to have customers forget they switched their Wi-Fi to Uconnect and then reap massive amounts of charges over two gigs.
After all I have unlimited gigs on my family phone as well as on my work phone. I really don’t care about another two gigs of data.. I really only care about the Uconnect send and go, remote lock/unlock/start and remote vehicle statistics.

·
Registered
49 Posts
That 4G adapter only appears to serve as a hotspot. Not a fix for integrating with the Jeep head unit in order to function for uConnect.

·
Registered
2014 Grand Cherokee
1,252 Posts
That 4G adapter only appears to serve as a hotspot. Not a fix for integrating with the Jeep head unit in order to function for uConnect.
Not according to UConnect. They are selling the adapter coupled with the UConnect services.

·
Registered
2014 Grand Cherokee
1,252 Posts
So I could conceivably swap my 2016 radio for a 2018 one and use this 4g adapter to enable my uconnect?
I think there are other differences between the 2016 and the 2018 that would cause problems there.

·
Registered
49 Posts
So some clarification on the uConnect 3G service being terminated Jan 1 2022. While the 3G service is going away, uConnect support stated they are offering for free, the TMobile 4G OBD adapter. You can choose between a $9.99/month service which has 2GB of data or $29.99/month for unlimited. Naturally, there is a 1 year contract which basically covers their ass for providing free hardware to the customers. Both include wireless hotspot and will function for uConnect services such as remote vehicle start and vehicle locator. The 4G portion WILL NOT begin to work until Jan 1 of 2022. All services will route through 3G until discontinued in 2022. This is the information I was provided from uConnect support just now. At least it is nice to know they won't be leaving people hanging.

FAQ's are at the bottom of the page:

·
Registered
6 Posts
So some clarification on the uConnect 3G service being terminated Jan 1 2022. While the 3G service is going away, uConnect support stated they are offering for free, the TMobile 4G OBD adapter. You can choose between a $9.99/month service which has 2GB of data or $29.99/month for unlimited. Naturally, there is a 1 year contract which basically covers their ass for providing free hardware to the customers. Both include wireless hotspot and will function for uConnect services such as remote vehicle start and vehicle locator. The 4G portion WILL NOT begin to work until Jan 1 of 2022. All services will route through 3G until discontinued in 2022. This is the information I was provided from uConnect support just now. At least it is nice to know they won't be leaving people hanging.

I have a 2017 Jeep Cherokee and I don’t see this on Sprint’s list. Does anyone know when it will be available for the 2017 Cherokees?
Thanks

·
Registered
49 Posts
I don't think it was incompatible. The impression I got on the phone was they've been sending these out for months in preparation for the 3g service going away Jan 2022. Either way, give them a call and find out for sure.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I don't think it was incompatible. The impression I got on the phone was they've been sending these out for months in preparation for the 3g service going away Jan 2022. Either way, give them a call and find out for sure.
FYI for all you Cherokee owners, just got off the phone with Uconnect. The 4G dongle is not compatible with Cherokee and they have no idea if and when it will be. So us Cherokee owners are screwed.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Apologies. I just noticed you mentioned a Jeep Cherokee in a previous post. I misread and was thinking the GC.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi, I just got my adapter yesterday and it seems to work OK. I can see and sign onto the network and get a usable signal, but I have had no luck in being able to change the SSID and default password. Even from a device signed into the WiFi, the button on the mopar website to get to the WiFi settings is always grayed out. Clicking on it does nothing. Anyone else encounter this and resolve it?

·
Registered
2014 Grand Cherokee
1,252 Posts
Hi, I just got my adapter yesterday and it seems to work OK. I can see and sign onto the network and get a usable signal, but I have had no luck in being able to change the SSID and default password. Even from a device signed into the WiFi, the button on the mopar website to get to the WiFi settings is always grayed out. Clicking on it does nothing. Anyone else encounter this and resolve it?

View attachment 236520
I spoke to a UConnect rep about this in May. He told me that this feature won't be available until 3G is shut down and the entire system is ported to the 4G system and expected this to occur shortly after the start of the year.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I spoke to a UConnect rep about this in May. He told me that this feature won't be available until 3G is shut down and the entire system is ported to the 4G system and expected this to occur shortly after the start of the year.
Intersting, thanks! So I'll stop trying then for a few months.:)

·
Registered
2014 Grand Cherokee
1,252 Posts
Intersting, thanks! So I'll stop trying then for a few months.:)
Well, this is UConnect telling us something. It doesn't hurt to check it periodically just to make sure.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2017 Ram 1500. The 4g adapter they sent 3 months ago worked for 2 days. I did everything to reset it according to Uconnect customer care. Nothing. They sent a second one which worked for three days, now nothing. It has taken 5 weeks to get them to decide to issue me a third one. The 4g adapter has no power light on it so you can not tell it is on unless you look at it from underneath or it shows up on your phone. Poor design! If you want Uconnect services after 1/2/2022 you need this adapter! Poor design, poor customer service poor all around!

·
Registered
22 Posts

THANK YOU!!! This is the answer I've been waiting for.

21 - 40 of 47 Posts