Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

21 - 40 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Has this issue been resolved? I purchased a new 2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee and added the Mopar cross bars. The wind noise from the cross bars is unlike any other car I've owned and is unacceptable.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I have the MOPAR oem roof crossbars the dealership gave me as a consolation prize for having shitty customer service. I had planned on installing them but after reading and hearing so many people mention the wind noise I won't bother and will likely sell them. I am OCD about wind noise.

My question is this.

Are these decent rails and something I could install myself on my 2019 Trailhawk? I also really like those cross bars too. These pictures they have on this page below pretty much sum up what I wanted all along when you add those crossbars.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Bringing this thread back to life.

I have a 2020 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude and am in the process of making this vehicle ski rack worthy.

Starting with the rails, I have ordered and installed the rails that can accept cross rails:

After the install did a quick test lap and they were silent, they feel solid and the neutral gray matches my vehicle perfectly. So step one complete, on to the rails.

Installed the rails and to be honest they were super simple. Clearly marked which direction to go, allen wrench even included. Took about 15-20 minutes to install and I placed them as far apart as possible. Here is the product:

Took a quick test lap and these things are whistling and making so much noise it isn't even funny. They are much louder than the crossrails+empty ski clip on my previous 2014 Cherokee and any other car I have been in with a system installed. The noise starts in at 20 and just continues to get worse. After reading through this thread there is some conflicting info and this problem is certainly still there.

This thread claims to make the thick part face forward, like an airplane wing...so it looks to be just like that, but not such luck. Here is the second trail where I moved the front bar back several inches:

The next step is I am going to reverse the front one and move it back up. Will report back but wondering what it is I am missing. This cannot be how people are actually driving around day to day.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Bringing this thread back to life.

I have a 2020 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude and am in the process of making this vehicle ski rack worthy.

Starting with the rails, I have ordered and installed the rails that can accept cross rails:

After the install did a quick test lap and they were silent, they feel solid and the neutral gray matches my vehicle perfectly. So step one complete, on to the rails.

Installed the rails and to be honest they were super simple. Clearly marked which direction to go, allen wrench even included. Took about 15-20 minutes to install and I placed them as far apart as possible. Here is the product:

Took a quick test lap and these things are whistling and making so much noise it isn't even funny. They are much louder than the crossrails+empty ski clip on my previous 2014 Cherokee and any other car I have been in with a system installed. The noise starts in at 20 and just continues to get worse. After reading through this thread there is some conflicting info and this problem is certainly still there.

This thread claims to make the thick part face forward, like an airplane wing...so it looks to be just like that, but not such luck. Here is the second trail where I moved the front bar back several inches:

View attachment 224857

View attachment 224858

The next step is I am going to reverse the front one and move it back up. Will report back but wondering what it is I am missing. This cannot be how people are actually driving around day to day.

I Have since tried the following:

1. Moved the rails to the most forward and rear position
2. Removed the Rubber piece
3. Flipped the Front rail in a different direction: A bit better but still whistles
4. Taped the edge gaps down

Nothing has worked. I am getting whistling at 25mph -- anything over 40 it extremely loud. At this point I am going to try the "wait 3 days" for it to magically fix itself. Maybe a bit of sun will seat the rubber molding, though it appears to be perfectly seated. If you have gone through this same process, please feel free to share a solution!

·
Registered
2014 Summit 5.7 4wd 20" tires swapped to 18", added all skid plates
2,411 Posts
I wonder if the whistling is coming from wind going under the bottom of the side mounts and thru the side rail channel area.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I’ve installed the bright lines cross blades purchased from amazon and they create zero noise at any speed. My cousin purchased the mopar cross blades which I installed and they began to whistle starting at about 25mph. I then removed my cross blades and installed them on his GC and again zero noise from the bright lines product. I measured and triple checked everything to make sure all was even and flush but alas could not silence the mopar blades.
-I think I see a small gap between where the blade rests on top of the mounting bracket in the photo above. I made sure that gap was not there when installing the mopar blades on my cousins GC but they still made noise. I hope you figure it out.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I went ahead and did a trial this morning with some simple tape, no luck. Still Whistles at 25 and above.

Going back to the drawing board, may try to fill the gap entirely in the channel with foam. Even filling the hollow plastic bit may be helpful. Seems like that may be the culprit. Will report back after more trials, I am determined to resolve this!

·
Registered
19 Posts
I’ve installed the bright lines cross blades purchased from amazon and they create zero noise at any speed. My cousin purchased the mopar cross blades which I installed and they began to whistle starting at about 25mph. I then removed my cross blades and installed them on his GC and again zero noise from the bright lines product. I measured and triple checked everything to make sure all was even and flush but alas could not silence the mopar blades.
-I think I see a small gap between where the blade rests on top of the mounting bracket in the photo above. I made sure that gap was not there when installing the mopar blades on my cousins GC but they still made noise. I hope you figure it out.
That is sad to hear. I have closed that small gap in the picture. Took the photo before I noticed it. No change :/

·
Registered
9 Posts
Are the rubber strips on top flush or do they fold up along the edges anywhere? I don’t know if such a small thing can be the issue, just tossing that out there.

·
Registered
704 Posts
I put these on top of my Mopar racks, eliminates the whistle but still a decent amount of wind noise (and they protect my boards)

Dakine Aero Rack Pads

Either way, like others have said...the noise these racks create is unacceptable.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Are the rubber strips on top flush or do they fold up along the edges anywhere? I don’t know if such a small thing can be the issue, just tossing that out there.
Yea the Rubber strips are fully seated.

I have a couple more things I am going to attempt this week. Mainly trying to ensure the plastic part under the bar is sealed at the top. Feels like that hollow plastic part has to be the culprit. Just haven't had time to do more tests. Will report back.

·
Registered
19 Posts
After using painters tape on every place I could think of and driving around the block several thousand times to test, I have found was appears to work. Zero noise up to 50, then slight (but normal) roof rack noise thereafter. At 75 the tape came off but was quiet up to that point. No more whistle or sound at 25 mph and above!

All I did was tape the gaps on the rubber seal across both bars. Instant change. Obviously not a permanent solution, but at least I can work from here and find a way to seal that top, doesn't look bad, and will last. I read on another blog that someone used vinyl to cover silver racks, wondering if 'wrapping' would be the best method. First I am going to remove the rubber seals once more and really stretch/bend them. Reinsert and see if that just solves it. The racks have also not sat in the direct sun for long to loosen up the rubber.

·
Registered
2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk 5.7L Hemi
199 Posts
Instead of vinyl wrapping it, since it's rubber and I'm not sure how well that would work, what about black electrical tape or black gorilla tape?

PS really happy you shared your findings. There are two things holding me back from using my Mopar bars... noise and high profile. This helps me confidently know I can rig up a solution for the noise. Curious how I can reduce the obnoxiously high profile of them so they appear more flush with the roof.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Also considering those as options. Whatever I can get that looks the cleanest. Not sure electrical tape would hold up to the weather the jeep will be experiencing, and afraid gorilla tape will look...well like gorilla tape. Ideally, this fix will be invisible to the naked eye of anyone looking who hasn't read this forum.

·
Registered
2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk 5.7L Hemi
199 Posts
Duct tape & plastidip? Just throwing out options as I'll probably follow your lead when I get around to it

·
Registered
704 Posts
Just throwing this out there - Through my various attempts to find a resolution to this problem, I did at one point try using electrical tape to seal the gaps. It did seem to work, however the electrical tape did not hold up very long. Once it all came undone I never tried again. Perhaps I was not using the greatest electrical tape.

21 - 40 of 60 Posts